[ SHOWGSD-L ] AKC

  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:33:33 -0400

Hopefully this information will help everyone understand SOME of the processes
coming through the ranks at AKC.
First, it is a must for everyone who might be involved in managing a Specialty
Show, or other AKC approved event to have a copy of the booklet put out by AKC
entitled  DEALING WITH MISCONDUCT.

Secondly, if complaints are received,  the CLUB receiving said complaints ARE
REQUIRED to investigate and MAKE A REPORT.  If the CLUB(S)  do not follow the
correct procedure as outlined by AKC then AKC  steps in &  takes over AND the
Club(s) are  subject to fines FOR NOT FOLLOWING PROCEDURES FOR AN APPROVED AKC
EVENT. The number of times a PC is sited for "not following procedure" is taken
into consideration and the fines or other sanctions are likely to become more
severe with each incident   AKC Like it or not, agree with it or not,  is in
the drivers seat.  The GSDCA is a Charter club of AKC.

Thirdly,  AKC is organized with several different departments .  For example,
Mr. Peter Gaeta is the Director whose department deals with judging approval,
judges discipline etc.   Mr. Gaeta's department does not, as a rule,  handle
EVENT DISCIPLINE. Therefore, we were recently dealing with two different
departments at AKC one of which was Judge's and the other was the Event
Department headed by Robin Stansell and Bobbie Birdsong.

Letters were not sent back to Mr. Gaeta asking him to take jurisdiction, the
Events Department took action as that is their role.  So, copies of letters
were received from Mr. Gaeta's Department AND Mr. Birdsong's Department.

Unfortunately, due to information put out on the list, which by the way was
exaggerated,  there is now a second investigation taking place.  I am sure this
was an accident and the intent to cause a big problem was not realized.
However,  I received a call from AKC and I was reminded that this second
investigation MUST take place OR there would be unpleasant consequences.  There
was also a reminder that the GSDCA has, in the recent past, violated show event
rules and it is in our best interest not to let this investigation fall by the
wayside.  So, here we go AGAIN!!!!   It is not a pleasant occurrence.  It takes
time, energy, a little money and causes quite a bit of anxiety for all
involved.  Please, I ask that you be careful with the instant communication
that is available to us via the internet which is an asset in many ways but it
also carries with it a responsibility.

All Regional Futurity Chairs, all Specialty Show Chairs, Field Trials, Rally,
Obedience Chairs, etc.  are SUBJECT TO DEALING WITH MISCONDUCT. This  booklet
is even on line at AKC.org.    Please,  get this booklet,  read it, know what
you are suppose to do.  I fervently hope that in the future none of our
Specialty Clubs will have to go through the discipline process with AKC.

As far as sharing information is concerned,  personally, my goal is share
information AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT EMBARRASS, SLANDER, RIDICULE OR PROVIDE
INFORMATION THAT COULD BE HARMFUL TO AN INDIVIDUAL'S REPUTATION.

Please let me know if I may help with any questions.   770-640-0149

Nancy Harper
National Futurity Chair.