[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC

  • From: TRocknroll@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:33:59 EDT

I think this is a wonderful idea!  There are so many of us that can  use a
refresher and others who would volunteer if they felt like they knew more
about
the being a Show Secretary.  I have done it once and I was scared to  death.
People are not forgiving of being a newbie at a job and making  errors.  Was
not a good experience.  This can do nothing but build  confidence!  I would
attend.

Terry & Larry Rock
FaithRock German Shepherds
58877 Ward  Drive
St. Helens, OR 97051
314.494.4110 Cell
Home  of Newest CH FaithRock Caralonqed "Ruby" Queen, TC, CHIC
Folks,

Just a suggestion, recently I (along with two other members  of my regional
club)attended a seminar "Building a Better Dog Show"  given by the AKC at the

Raleigh All Breed Shows.  To say that  this seminar was an eye opener is an
understatement.  I wrote to  Lew Bunch and suggested that the AKC be invited
do this seminar at  the National and encourage anyone that is a show
secretary
or  considering being a show secretary attend this seminar.  I believe he  is

working on this.

Not only will they go over the rules, one  at a time, they will answer
questions, give examples, etc.  They  too are concerned about the drop in
show
entries, and the decline of  the shows.  They want the sport of  purebred
dogs to be
a family  event.  Now, stop and take a look at the shows  like this is the
first time you have ever attended one, and any behavior you  observe by
people
that have been attending dog shows most of their lives, we   overlook things.
 We
hear words we have all heard before, but what  about  the family that has
come
there with their 5 year old and 7 year  old children, to  observe what the
German Shepherd is all about, and do  they want to add one to  their family,
if
they do add one to their  family, what would their expectations  be if they
might
be interested  in participating in the sport of purebred  dogs.  There are
many  venues to attend with a pure bred dog.  So they  are sitting ringside,
and a
double handler runs down one of the kids, a handler  in the ring  mouths a
foul word or two to put the double handler to be in the   correct corner or
to go
in the same direction as their dog is running,  maybe  fido hasn't had a
stool
recently and needs assistance to go, and  out comes a
match................how
would this look to a first time  family.  We have  heard, seen and probably
some of us are guilty  of doing some of these  things.  AKC sees these types
of
things as  a detriment to encouraging new  folks getting involved with the
sport
of purebred dogs.  People come with  grand children, all of a  sudden the
language they have heard for 40 years is not  ok, because  they are now
listening
with different ears.

All AKC wants us to do is  be good sportsmen, we should be dedicated to
that,
look at all we can  do with our wonderful breed, we can participate in
virtually any venue  with our breed!  WOW!  Just how cool is that,  enjoy
your dogs,
enjoy the sport of purebred dogs, and best of all make new  friends and
enjoy
each other.

Ok, now back to my little cave, peeking out  cautiously.............

Laura Gilbert
Chesapeake VA