[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:31:52 -0700 (PDT)

If you ever want to attend a "family" event that lacks in good sportsmanship, I
suggest visiting any youth sports event whether it be from preschool to High
School.  In no other place will you find such foul language, immature scary
behavior from the "adults" in the crowd than at one of these venues.  Yet
children's athletics continue to be extremely popular and well attended and
parents are not running away from these family unfriendly environments at all.
I don't think bad behavior by participants at dog shows ranks even in the top
15 reasons that entries are dropping.

  That said I think you are right about the AKC wanting dog shows to be a
family event in an attempt to boost attendance.  Personally, I think a full bar
at every dog show would bring in more people, but that's just me.

  JMO
  Cindy

LauraEG@xxxxxxx wrote:
  Folks,
Just a suggestion, recently I (along with two other members of my regional
club)attended a seminar "Building a Better Dog Show" given by the AKC at the
Raleigh All Breed Shows. To say that this seminar was an eye opener is an
understatement. I wrote to Lew Bunch and suggested that the AKC be invited to
do this seminar at the National and encourage anyone that is a show secretary
or considering being a show secretary attend this seminar. I believe he is
working on this.

Not only will they go over the rules, one at a time, they will answer
questions, give examples, etc. They too are concerned about the drop in show
entries, and the decline of the shows. They want the sport of purebred dogs to
be
a family event. Now, stop and take a look at the shows like this is the
first time you have ever attended one, and any behavior you observe by people
that have been attending dog shows most of their lives, we overlook things. We
hear words we have all heard before, but what about the family that has come
there with their 5 year old and 7 year old children, to observe what the
German Shepherd is all about, and do they want to add one to their family, if
they do add one to their family, what would their expectations be if they might
be interested in participating in the sport of purebred dogs. There are
many venues to attend with a pure bred dog. So they are sitting ringside, and a
double handler runs down one of the kids, a handler in the ring mouths a
foul word or two to put the double handler to be in the correct corner or to go
in the same direction as their dog is running, maybe fido hasn't had a stool
recently and needs assistance to go, and out comes a match................how
would this look to a first time family. We have heard, seen and probably
some of us are guilty of doing some of these things. AKC sees these types of
things as a detriment to encouraging new folks getting involved with the sport
of purebred dogs. People come with grand children, all of a sudden the
language they have heard for 40 years is not ok, because they are now listening
with different ears.

All AKC wants us to do is be good sportsmen, we should be dedicated to that,
look at all we can do with our wonderful breed, we can participate in
virtually any venue with our breed! WOW! Just how cool is that, enjoy your
dogs,
enjoy the sport of purebred dogs, and best of all make new friends and enjoy
each other.

Ok, now back to my little cave, peeking out cautiously.............

Laura Gilbert
Chesapeake VA

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com