[ SHOWGSD-L ] AKC

  • From: LauraEG@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 20:50:54 EDT

Folks,

Just a suggestion, recently I (along with two other members of my regional
club)attended a seminar "Building a Better Dog Show" given by the AKC at the
Raleigh All Breed Shows.  To say that this seminar was an eye opener is an
understatement.  I wrote to Lew Bunch and suggested that the AKC be invited  to
do this seminar at the National and encourage anyone that is a show secretary
or considering being a show secretary attend this seminar.  I believe he is
working on this.

Not only will they go over the rules, one at a time, they will answer
questions, give examples, etc.  They too are concerned about the drop in  show
entries, and the decline of the shows.  They want the sport of  purebred dogs
to be
a family event.  Now, stop and take a look at the shows  like this is the
first time you have ever attended one, and any behavior you  observe by people
that have been attending dog shows most of their lives, we  overlook things.
We
hear words we have all heard before, but what about  the family that has come
there with their 5 year old and 7 year old children, to  observe what the
German Shepherd is all about, and do they want to add one to  their family, if
they do add one to their family, what would their expectations  be if they
might
be interested in participating in the sport of purebred  dogs.  There are
many venues to attend with a pure bred dog.  So they  are sitting ringside, and
double handler runs down one of the kids, a handler  in the ring mouths a
foul word or two to put the double handler to be in the  correct corner or to
go
in the same direction as their dog is running, maybe  fido hasn't had a stool
recently and needs assistance to go, and out comes a  match................how
would this look to a first time family.  We have  heard, seen and probably
some of us are guilty of doing some of these  things.  AKC sees these types of
things as a detriment to encouraging new  folks getting involved with the sport
of purebred dogs.  People come with  grand children, all of a sudden the
language they have heard for 40 years is not  ok, because they are now
listening
with different ears.

All AKC wants us to do is be good sportsmen, we should be dedicated to  that,
look at all we can do with our wonderful breed, we can participate in
virtually any venue with our breed!  WOW!  Just how cool is that,  enjoy your
dogs,
enjoy the sport of purebred dogs, and best of all make new  friends and enjoy
each other.

Ok, now back to my little cave, peeking out cautiously.............

Laura Gilbert
Chesapeake VA