[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx, LeBrowngsd@xxxxxxx, amidon@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:04:54 -0500

I spoke with Mr. Gaeta yesterday.? Talk about an intense man.? Anyway, I
learned some things from him.? The GSD fancy is being closely scrutinized.?
That show was the straw that broke the camel's back for them.? He stated the
complaints have become out of control from AB shows and combined specialties.?
Since I wasn't there, I did not discuss specifics other than to say there were
reports that the Rep put "hands on" people.? He stated they had not one
complaint about that and if true, the police should've been called.? The AKC
does not tolerate that from their Reps.? Ok, that is all well and good,? But, I
also addressed the double handling rule and asked for a specific rule or
section that says it is not allowed.? He basically said that anything that
interferes with the judging of the dogs or disturbs other exhibitors is not
allowed.? He could not cite a specific rule and said that it is about ring
control and the Judge.??
Ok, now that all being said, here is what I read between the lines.? The AKC is
going to start looking much closer at specialties.? He stated that the GSD
folks have gotten away with so much at?our specialties that we feel we have a
"right" to do whatever we want at any show, regardless of the etiquette or
rules.

As I stated, I wasn't there so did not say anything other to ask for the AKC
side of the story.? He had no problem spewing it out to me.? This is obviously
a big issue right now.??The moral of the story is that we are going to
be?looked at and need to be on good behavior.? Any little thing is going to be
dissected and used against us.? OTOH, if an incident occurs that is unfair or
illegal, we must all be willing to report it immediately.? That is the only way
the AKC will see both sides of the story.

Laura Thomas?????