[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AIHA...help

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 18:48:01 EST

In a message dated 12/9/2007 4:43:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Has  anyone in lister land heard of "Auto Immune
Hemolitic Anemia"???....my vet,  who is very good and
used by many in the San Francisco Bay Area,  claims
it's a condition where the body destroys the red blood
cells...my  bitch's count was 17, her temp. was 104,
and she was extremely lethargic,  my vet discribed her
as critical!, she is as I speak recieveing  blood
transfusions....what causes this AIHA?...any of many
spontaneous  events...( translation= she doesn't
know)..if you have some info about this  please let me
know...life is STILL good!.....Ed

Yes.  I had a Hippy x Ginny Wolf daughters' daughter that I  purchased and
later lost to this at 18 months.  It is an inherited auto  immune disease.
Simply awful.  The docs at both Cornell and Penn  diagnosed it w/ a nuclear
blood
test and several biopsies.  They wanted to  try long term steroids and
possibly chemo, but when we analyzed it, she never  would have survived  the
treatment. I'm very sorry Ed:(

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

products.