[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AIHA...help

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:46:46 EST

In a message dated 12/9/2007 8:51:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I think  it is neither productive, helpful, nor kind, to tell people that
you are  sorry about something you only have a few facts  about.

EXCUUUUUUUSE me, but please don't copy and lump my post with those you  think
only have a few facts. Six+ years ago, I went through several long  months,
cried many tears and spent $3,000+ of diagnostic testing with two  of the best
teaching hospitals on the east coast learning far more than I wanted  to w/
the 18 month old that I lost to this, so don't DARE tell me I (a)  "have few
facts" and/or (b) that I can't say that I'm sorry to a fellow GSD  fancier who
just had a bitch diagnosed w/ the same thing.

I LOVED my bitch, it WAS horrific and I AM VERY sorry Ed had to ever hear  of
this disease.

FURTHERMORE while you may prefer to look into immunizations as the cause or
God knows what else, take a closer look at genetics (which is why I included
my  girl's lines in the post).  To close our eyes to the role genetics play is
like saying everyone that has heart disease are carrots at some point ergo
carrots cause heart disease.  I'll give you that environmental factors may
play a role, I'm open to discussion re environmental factors TRIGGERING an
event, but when are we going to stop dancing around with genetic issues and
admit
to weaknesses in some lines (for the purpose of this conversation,
auto-immune weaknesses)?

We can mourn those that have suffered a particular issue, we can be
optimistic that in some cases certain conditions can be controlled, but
simultaneously, the sooner we stop dancing and looking under every rock for an
excuse and
become OPEN about the genetic pitfalls that exits in EVERY pedigree,  the
better the odds for successful breedings that don't tear someone's heart out
and
put the resulting puppies/dogs through hell in the process. (AND believe me,
although it was quite a while back, the guilt I feel for what I put my gal
through while trying to diagnose/manage is as fresh as if it had happened
yesterday.)

It sounds as if the vets have your gal's disease under control and for that
I'm grateful.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

products.