[ SHOWGSD-L ] ADVERTISING ON THE PC WEBSITE

  • From: S&C Grainger <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 10:14:59 -0700 (PDT)

Some time ago, it came to my attention that a Board( not certain which sitting
Board) agreed to allow ONLY Breeder's Code signers to advertise on the PC site.
In reviewing the requirements for membership in the By-laws of the GSDCA, it
does NOT state that a member must be a BC signer to be a GSDCA member, it does
NOT state that you must be a BC signer to advertise in the Review." The Objects
of the Club" as listed in the By-laws of the GSDCA do not state that signing
the BC must accompany the application for GSDCA membership,nor is signing the
BC a requirement to be considered a member in good standing with the GSDCA.
Actually, a member in "good standing" is simply defined by the GSDCA by-laws as
one whose dues are paid, who is not under suspension by the GSDCA or the AKC.
The by-laws also state that when applying for membership, that after the
application is received and published that the applicant is entitled to ALL
privileges of membership, except
 voting. There is no mention of any exclusion of any GSDCA privilege if the
Breeder's Code is not signed by a GSDCA member, or applicant.

 Therefore my questions regarding the Board decision to allow only those who
have signed the BC the privilege of advertising on the PC site are  1) How does
the GSDCA justify allowing only certain members the "privilege" of advertising
on the PC website and not ALL its members in good standing? 2) How does the
GSDCA justify allowing ANYONE, along with outside sponsors, such as Purina to
advertise in its official publication,"The GSDCA Review?"but wants to
disenfranchise part of its membership by forcing them to sign an agreement that
is not a requirement for membership, just to be able to advertise on the PC
site? 3) can someone explain  how "The Review" and the "GSDCA website" differ
as official publications of the GSDCA as to justify the requirement of signing
the Breeders Code for PC advertising, but not for the Review?
In closing, I think the BC, although flawed, is a noble endeavor. I have not
signed it because I have disagreed with certain aspects of it,and I have cited
my reasons in the past, but I do know the BC is well intended. Sadly however,
there are some who have signed the BC just to be able to advertise. As breeders
they still conduct themselves unethically and use the BC as a tool to cover the
fact that they are no more than puppy mills. Now the GSDCA has given them
special "privilege" to advertise on the PC site, while disenfranchising others
who, may actually be excellent, ethical breeders,and long time GSDCA members,
but because they have for their own reasons chosen not to sign BC are denied
the ability to advertise on the official GSDCA website.
What is wrong with this picture?  Christine Grainger

www.hickoryhillgsd.com