[ SHOWGSD-L ] ADMIN - The National Thread and personal attacks

  • From: "Margery Golant" <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:41:45 -0400

There are times when we are damned if we do, and damned if we don't.  There
are times when there is no perfect solution. That has been the case with the
National Judging thread.  It became very nasty, accusatory, and personal.
Personal attacks are against the Rules of Showgsd-l.  Because of this, an
Administrator attempted to close the National judging thread.  It was done
with the best of intentions.  However, the solution proved to be worse than
the problem - even though some posters stopped posting, because there are
well over 1000 List members, people read their posts sequentially, with the
older ones first, not realtime, and the topic continued.  New posts continue
to show up, and it is impossible for the admins., who have full time jobs
and other responsibilities, to manage everyone's posts.  We cannot possibly
restrict and pre-read everyone's posts.  However, we will not allow the List
to be used for personal battles and attacks, and anyone who uses to attack
will lose their posting privileges.  We don't believe that it serves the
purpose of the List to suppress discussion of topics that are of interest to
the members of the Fancy, and aside from the personal issues, it is
certainly relevant and of interest, so that only leaves us the option of
suppressing POSTERS who forget or ignore the rules.

So, here's the way it is:  You have opinions that's fine.  You have
something to say, that's fine.  Some are angry, or upset.  However, even so,
it is possible to discuss this like responsible adults, to air the issues,
without being nasty without personal attacks.  Post on this, or any topic
ther Rules allow, but make certain that you do not violate the Rules (which
can be found at:
http://www.showgsd.org/rules.html ) - in particular "Personal attacks,
hostile, accusatory posts, in word or in tone, are not allowed."  So long as
the rules are followed, all is well.  Think carefully before you post,
reread your post to make sure it is civl before you send it.  If you aren't
sure if it's ok, it probably isn't.

If anyone violates these rules, the only practical intervention will be to
prevent those people from posting.  If you post civilly, and someone
responds with an attack, please hang onto your self-control, and do not
respond.  If we see any personal attacks. we will stop posts from that
person.

Remember that when you post to the List, your email is going to over 1000
email addresses, and that most email addresses represent households of more
than one member.  So, that is a substantially larger group than was at the
GSDCA Annual Meeting or Victory Dinner.  Please conduct yourselves and make
your posts with that in mind.  Please remember that most or all of the
people who are affected by what you say are probably List members also, that
all involved have thoughts and feelings.  People can disagree and discuss
without throwing mud at one another.

We really hate censorship, don't want any part of it, don't want to be List
Police.  So long as everyone is mindful of the Rules, there is no reason why
you can't police yourselves.

Margery Golant
Showgsd-l Administrator