[ SHOWGSD-L ] ADMIN - PICTURES and the List in general

  • From: "MARGERY GOLANT" <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 13:05:04 -0400

Listers,

The pictures experiment was for yesterday only, so is over.  The feature is
now removed that allowed photos to be posted, so the List is back the way it
was.  Sorry for any inconvenience it caused - sometimes the only way to see
if something will work is to try it.  As you can see by the comments still
coming in, some people hated it, some thought it was great.

If it is any consolation, as many big files as you got yesterday, we got
LOTS MORE !!  Zoe and I get ALL the bounced posts that hit ALL Listers'
mailboxes and get rejected, so are still getting them today....

Several people suggested that we provide a photo upload area where people
can put pictures for others to see.  We have had that for over a year on the
Showgsd Yahoo site, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/showgsd-l/ - it is still
there, and still usable if you are a List member and have a Yahoo ID and
password.  If so, you can upload photos there, and then include the location
in a post to the List, or of course, can post to your own web site if you
have one.  It is a bit tricky if you are not used to it, but it does work,
and with practice is not difficult.  We will also investigate other options
for photos.

The List admins. have always been committed to doing everything we can to
make Showgsd-l an excellent communication mechanism, and from the quiet and
steady support we receive from most of you, we believe we have, in general,
succeeded.  We are not perfect, and administering the List is a learning
experience for us as well, and it is astounding how difficult it is at
times.   Over the course of time and as the size of the List has expanded we
have found it necessary to make some rules, not because we are control
freaks (nothing is farther from the truth !), but solely to keep some
semblance of order on the List.  We have over 1000 subscribers, and while
there is a sizeable common denominator among all List members, there is
still a wide range of opinions, perspective and experience.  Actually we
HATE rules, as that results in lots more work for us, you wouldn't believe
how much.... !!  When things have gotten really nasty or vindictive, we have
shut down threads temporarily, and our rules provide that people not
advertise for commercial purposes, that List posts remain on the List and
not be crossposted or forwarded, that Listers not use the List to break any
AKC / CKC rules, promote German vs. American, be civil to one another or
post off-topic junk, non-substantive chit-chat or things that are not
directed to the group in general.  In a nutshell, that is all of our rules,
things that most of you would never do anyway.

The best analogy is to imagine that you are at an open meeting of 1000 or so
GSD fanciers - anything you would stand up and say in that room is probably
appropriate to post on the List - and if not, it probably does not belong
here, with our audience of 1000 subscribers.  That is why one-on-one
conversations, one-liners, religion, politics, etc, don't work - they have
their place, but not in a room of 1000 people.  Showgsd-l is a 'virtual
room' with 1000 people in it.

We try as best we can to be fair and even-handed in enforcing those rules
that we do have, and of course, since we do that privately, you don't see it
when we contact a Lister who has violated the rules, or take admin. action,
but please know that we do.  We are volunteers, doing this in our spare
time, and so hope and pray that our members will manage themselves, read the
rules from time to time (they are posted at:
http://www.showgsd.org/rules.html ) to be sure they know what they are and
so can follow them.

That is why we ask you, if you have concerns about how the List is being
administered, to have the courtesy to contact us privately regarding any
concerns, and not to raise them or to bash us on the List, since we are
reluctant to discuss, in full view of all members, issues that may be
limited to a small group, or which have individual overtones.  We do this in
an effort to be courteous and respectful of the privacy of our members
wherever we can, and not to clutter the List with issues that are not of
general interest.  But, having said that, we are interested to hear from you
and will always respond, and if we can, will always address your concerns.
We have always tried to proceed in whatever way our members have wanted us
to, and when issues arise, have always solicited your input and then
responded consistent with that input.

We appreciate your support and input.  We are reminded how much the List
means to us all on those occasions when the server goes down, or an ISP
breaks down, and people are inadvertently temporarily cut off.

We are proud to have been the place people come to share their triumphs and
tragedies, to look for assistance and input, to discuss their concerns
regarding issues of importance concerning the German Shepherd Dog, the Fancy
and the Parent Clubs, to broadcast news, brags, announcements, ask
questions, and we remain committed to doing all we can to, as much as
possible, keep the List viable for all of those purposes.  Civil, on-topic
discussion is always welcome and encouraged.

You can always contact us at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx as well as individually to
discuss admin matters.

Margery Golant
Showgsd-l Administrator