[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: ADMIN: Apology to The List

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: ninemaplefarm@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 09:58:05 -0500 (EST)

That was Sheree and I hope you take her up on her offer:)

Our standard and the purpose of our breed hasn't changed since you were a
"kid" so maybe the dogs you remember as a child weren't good ones
structurally?  That's OK, most of us didn't start with stars, so we  learn...

Re combining German and American lines, I don't.

I DO have a Jim son here but personally I've never figured out how  to mix
the two..OTHERS HAVE and hats off to them but not me.   When he was used w/
American bitches I saw puppies that look like little GV  & GVXs at 4 months
that lost everything on both ends by 6 months and I HAVE  to have good
fronts and rear follow through.  My old guy had his last  litter (at 10 /2) and
always wondered if I had bred him to an "overgone" gal  if I would have
kept enough, but we'll never know because I never had an  overdone girl for
him.  He has an interesting daughter and if she is bred  back into correctly
angulated American lines I'd be tempted to buy a  puppy...

Re tending, to be efficient a dog has to take the least amount of steps
(cover the most ground) with the least amount of effort.  You don't get  that
w/  "square". You get choppy and inneficient. Study the  breed history.
GSDs didn't just tend a flock in a stationary spot,  they frequently had to
move herds many miles to better pasture in  Germany.  Not so much now lol, (and
that was only part of the job, they are  a versatile bunch!) but we don't
want to lose the effortless floating  EFFICIENT gait.

Keep studying and take Sheree up on her offer.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 12/7/2011 9:08:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ninemaplefarm@xxxxxxx writes:

I will say at the last show I attended I met the people who showed that
dog on tv during thanksgiving. I think the last name was Moses. They were nice
 and the wife(sorry I am bad with names) even told me to bring my puppy and
she  would show me grooming and handling tips(unfortunately, I couldn't
make it  back out there). But, I thought that was really nice of them and I
think  (hope) they could tell I was serious about the breed. Their dog won BIS
and  had a very good temperament...

Anyway, I hear what you are saying about angles and I still don't  remember
ever seeing GSDs as a kid have their hind end like that. I don't  think
it's functional. I don't see that build in any other tending breed( note  I
said tending and not herding). Did GSDs look like that in the 60's?

There must be a reason for the current appearance of the hind legs. What
is it?