[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AC taking dogs

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vicisheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 08:07:51 -0800

Evan,

Just a couple quik questions...Should a "No trespassing" sign be posted on my
security fence that surrounds my kennel and also includes my backdoor to my
house?  And do you consider it necessary to put paddlelocks on gaits or are
clips considered enough notice along with signs not to enter property?

Thanks
--
Michelle

Michelle...

Although not addressed to me, I'd like to respond if you don't mind. And if you
do, then I am in bad trouble cause it's already sent! <g>

You do not have to sign your property to guarantee your right to privacy. It is
in the big sign, The Constitution of the United States, which of course may not
apply anymore in some minds.

No one, regardless of how official may enter your property and do a search for
evidence against you without a warrant. No one can obtain a warrant without
presenting to a judge a reasonable belief, based on objective facts, that would
make a reasonable person believe that you were, at that point in time, holding
on your person or property evidence of a crime. This is a fundamental right
that the founders of this nation did not enjoy on the continent in all cases
before coming here and thought it would be a good idea to guarantee for all
time to our citizens.

It has undergone attack in the courts over the years but has survived to some
degree and is still our right. The courts have held that if I (an officer of
the law) see something illegal in the course of another procedure, it is
admissible. So officers have learned to do what is called a knock and talk.
That is, knock on the door and when invited in by a polite person, look around
to see if they have drugs, drug paraphernalia, of in our case, too many dogs,
then, incidental to the interview evidence is discovered and is admissible.

While I am not in favor of people hiding their law breaking, I am more
concerned with the authoritarian potential of our shift away from personal
rights and liberties. So I always advise people to not allow anyone of an
official nature into your house at all. You don't have to be polite and
regardless of the pressing nature of the person trying to get you to let them
in, simply don't. I have nothing to hide at my house. I am in a general rural
zone and there are no animal restrictions, but none-the-less, if only to
protect the nature and intent of the Constitution, everyone is welcome except
officials investigating me. It has never happened to me but that is my stance.

On the other hand I know practically every cop in the valley and have high
regard for them and regularly get together socially, but I am not interested in
shifting the power base to a police state and I do not to ruin perfectly good
people who might enjoy their power too much.

The sign is already out. It is called the constitution.
Dave