[ SHOWGSD-L ] AB-1634 Getting the Message across

  • From: DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:43:29 EDT

Permission to cross post

Unfortunately, what's important is not only conveying the message  but
conveying it by tens of thousands of people. I learned the hard  way
last year that a powerful compelling message told by subject  matter
experts isn't enough.
In April 2007, before the first Assembly  committee vote, I visited the
Capital and met with staff with all committee  members. I had with me
2 police officers who train and work police dogs, and  the national
director of canine programs for Canine Companions for  Independence
(CCI). The police officers (one of whom is the Vice President  of
Western States Police Canine Association) explained in no  uncertain
terms that AB 1634 would seriously harm law enforcement in  California.
They said that AB 1634 would cause a significant reduction in  the
future supply of police dogs in the state, which they said means  that
some criminals would get away who would otherwise be caught,  more
police officers will be hurt, and the public will suffer from  higher
crime rates. The expert from CCI explained how AB 1634 would  harm
programs in California that breed and train guide dogs for the  blind
and service dogs for the disabled. All of us, at every step of  the
way, said more tweaking of the bill's language to add  "exemptions"
doesn't work. I was shocked than anybody could vote for this  bill
after hearing these experts describe the harm it would do. Yet  it's
been passing via party line votes.

Point is, compelling  well-presented arguments alone do not work. They
need to hear it from tens of  thousands of us.

Laura Sanborn

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.