[ SHOWGSD-L ] AB vs. Specialty Judges

  • From: "Helen Franklin" <helen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:39:38 -0800

Years ago I was asked to judge an all breed match on Vancouver Island.  I was
to judge 1/2 of all of the dogs entered (thus 1/2 of all of the breeds).  With
AKC book in hand, I made a list of disqualifying faults for each breed, feeling
that if I was not able to select the best at least I wouldn't select a dog that
shouldn't be there.  I found it amazing the various small nuisances in each
standard, I.e.  "the white patch on the chest can be no larger than..." etc.
What was amusing was when I had to judge a dog with a long coat down to the
table and found myself running my hand under and down the stomach to see if I
came upon an obstruction and therefore needed to check for testicles.  One
improvises as needed.
I also had the dubious honor of selecting the Best in Show.  Now you may think
that it's only a match...but this was a match attended by over 100 dogs!  (Much
to my horror)  I learned a lot that day.  I learned that it was more important
for me to be a student and dedicated to one breed rather than to be learning
about others.  I learned that a good dog of any breed does present itself.  I
learned humility and respect for the really knowledgeable all breed
Helen Franklin