[ SHOWGSD-L ] AB 1634

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:35:17 -0400

Permission to crosspost

Walt <waltah@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  AB 1634 is out of the Committee on Business
and Professions. It will
next be heard in the Committee on Appropriations. They will not be
interested in "I don't like this idea" or "AB 1634 will eliminate my
hobby" or even "AB 1634 will reduce Californian's freedom to choose
where to buy their pets.

That committee's focus is "How much is this going to cost?" That is
the ONLY thing they care about. The good news is that California is in
deep money doo-doo and a bill that will cost a lot has no chance of
passing.

The reason Levine spent so much time on claims that the bill would
greatly reduce shelter costs is that such claims are his best hope of
getting the bill passed.

What we need to do now is think through how the bill will raise costs
for local government and estimate (when we can) how much it might
raise those costs.

It WILL raise costs -- MSN is far from a new idea and nobody has made
it work yet. But getting that story in a form that the commitee will
understand is going to be a challenge and we don't have much time.

Let's get to work, folks.

Walt Hutchens