[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A very similar solution

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 19:04:32 -0400

Well, I can speak personally about what happened to the Cavalier King
Charles Spaniel after AKC recognition.  We had a very active club long
before AKC recognition...when "going with" the AKC was put to a vote,
something like 97% of the membership voted against it.  We weren't
afraid of losing intelligence, just quality..............
    However, there was a small group of people who wanted it, and of
course, AKC looked at the numbers and BAM...we were recognized.
    Fine...more people were exposed to the breed...but quality has gone
down as quantity has gone up.  People saw big bucks here, as the average
price nationwide for a pet puppy sold on a spay/neuter contract is now
around $2000, give or take a couple of hundred bucks.   People got into
the breed because it's pretty, sweet, and because they could sell
puppies for good money...they didn't study up on the health problems,
which are myriad (with new ones coming along regularly, too), or on
bloodlines.  They bought and bought, and sold some, gave others away to
friends.  Anything could finish, and with the right handler, even go
Best in Show a few times.  Some were good, others were not.  Some of the
good ones were not available to others for breeding because of the
problems with the old club refusing to deal with AKC-registered dogs........
    Well, it has come to where almost all the old club members now "dual
register."  There are still a lot of very good quality dogs around, but
most all breed shows have dogs entered in the Cavalier ring that look
like some other breed....and at the last National, at least two of the
top placements had the rest of the Cavalier world in hysterics...laughing!
    AKC recognition did Cavaliers  no good at all.  And prices are
dropping every day as well, because of all the puppy millers, so the
number of dogs abandoned or those who make it to rescue will only
increase.
    If white Shepherds come into the AKC as some different breed than
German Shepherds, which they'll have to do unless the GSDCA drops white
as a dq, the breed won't improve...no other breed has.   Of course, I'm
only talking about breeds recognized in the last decade or so.  Breeds
that have been AKC registered for a while have enough problems, but new
breeds just seem to go to hell in a handbasket.
Peggy