[ SHOWGSD-L ] A very important read, worth your time

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 14:06:07 -0700

For owners of Purebred dogs, a concern about the future of dogs in
this increasingly frightening onslaught of animal rights groups, this
4 part article (all in one place here) is a must.  Take your time and
read it thoroughly.
Stormy Hope
GSDCA Legislation Liaison

The Purebred Paradox conference
http://got50.blogspot.com/2011/05/purebred-paradox-conference.html

Sharyn Hutchens (co-moderator of the 3500 member pet-law group list)
attended the HSUS sponsored "The Purebred Paradox" seminar.  Here are
her starting words.

  The Purebred Paradox conference
Background: In 2008 the BBC released a documentary produced by Jemima
Harrison, called Pedigree Dogs Exposed. (PDE) The premise of the
documentary is that breeding practices, breed standards (or their
interpretations), and judging practices are seriously compromising the
health of purebred dogs. (Note: In England, a dog registered with the
Kennel Club is called a pedigree dog. In the US, we use the term
purebred for any dog of pure parentage.) The program generated such a
public outcry that the Kennel Club made some major changes:  reviewed
all breed standards and altered some of them. It also made changes in
judging practices, put restrictions on the number of c-sections
bitches could have, and prohibited extremely close inbreeding. The
Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) presented a conference on
the topic last month called The Purebred Paradox: On the Health and
Welfare of Pedigree Dogs.)

With the support of the Virginia Federation of Dog Clubs and Breeders
Alice Harrington and I attended the Purebred Paradox conference April
28-29 in Washington, DC. We discussed long and hard whether to attend
-- since it was hosted by HSUS, we obviously were not interested in
supporting the conference. But we felt someone needed to go to find
out what was said. AKC had decided not to participate, which was the
right decision for them.

read the rest at the link:

http://got50.blogspot.com/2011/05/purebred-paradox-conference.html