[ SHOWGSD-L ] A thoughtful plan

  • From: Sue Tomlinson <arcturusgermanshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 08:39:14 -0400

This has been a good discussion and I applaud the administration for
letting it play out. Its what we have needed for a long time.  I know I for
one, never truly understood the genetics behind the white shepherd, or the
ramifications either.  In my opinion, we need to take a long range view of
this.  We need to recognize the breeders of whites are as passionate as we
are and it does no good to present false or half truths.
   I also recognize there will always be some people or group that will not
be happy, no matter how hard we try.  Nonetheless, its time to make a
decision, and that decision falls squarely on the membership.
   I'm not sure just what the committee who changed the DQ to a fault was
charged with doing.  I'ld like to suggest some more work for them!  That
would be to put together a factual  syllabus about the genetics behind the
white shepherd and perhaps statistics as well.
  ie: what is the percentage of white shepherds in the breed?  how many are
born to colored parents, ect.
We need to drop the hysteria.  We all spend time thoughtfully planning a
pedigree.  We may choose to breed to a sable, knowing the sable color is
dominate, or we may choose to breed to a black or a dog that carries black
Because We Want That Color or Don't Want It.  Whites in the pedigree would
be no different.  Its not like there are not thousands of dogs to choose
from!   Nonetheless, after careful consideration with truthful facts we
should make a decision, and like Kathy states  "all in or all out".  If we
choose all out, then I would like to see us do what we can to help them
develop their own breed. If this means going to the AKC and working with
them until they help us and change their own rules, then so be it.  If this
means developing a 5 year exit plan, then that is what we do. There would
need to be a period of time for white shepherd owners to transfer to the
new breed club. Lets handle this thoughtfully and with dignity.