[ SHOWGSD-L ] A thing of the past?

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx, sally@xxxxxxxxxxx, CagGra@xxxxxxx, vande001@xxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:37:13 EST

In a message dated 11/28/2005 9:59:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx writes:
In a  message dated 11/28/2005 4:01:18 P.M. Central Standard Time,
sally@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I  know for myself the
$400-$500  weekends are a thing of the  past.

That is perhaps the  least amount - those weekends usually are from  $800.
$1200  now.  And yes, it is a lot and goes back to what was  discussed
several
months ago...makes the sport that of exclusion rather  than  inclusion.  But
what
is the answer?  How do we make it for   everyone to come out and enjoy....and
don't say we can all start  handling  our own dogs again.  As stated, we are
all
aging....not a pretty  sight.
Molly

Trillia  German   Shepherds

I see numbers going up in performance in comparison to specialties and  while
one may argue that you don't have the handlers fees/expenses, the counter
point is that performance people usually bring more dogs who each compete w/
multiple runs in different events so the entry expenses often, not always, make

up the difference.

(I never spends less in performance, lol, and frequently you have  "training"
expenses during the week, either lessons ...herding say a $20 per dog  per
run, so bring 4 and you've added $80 per week...or an offsite location, +
several hundred a month, which of course we don't have on the breed end of
it.)
"Performance people" also spend lots on vets, chiropractors,  acupuncture,
supplements, energy bars and drinks, joint lubricants...on the  whole LOTS more
than breed folks.

So...there ARE folks still spending money and plenty of it.

Besides, maybe there isn't an answer.  Maybe it's OK if folks  can't/won't
spend $300-$500-$800 a weekend.  If it's not in the budget,  it's not in the
budget.

I've gotten smarter about where and when to show the dogs, and better (I
hope!) about waiting on them.  The last two I finished, including all entry
fees, expenses (and bonuses were roughly 1/3), were between $2,000 and  $3,000.

That's not a disproportionate amount of money compared to  what one would spend
on many different hobbies/sports but to someone w/  credit card debt to pay
off, a second mortgage to pay off or perhaps a  college fund to "fund", it's
probably frivolous.

There isn't the gas argument to be made anymore, lol;)  Noticed it was  a
little under $2 this week locally:)

HAGD!

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_