[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A stud by any other name is still just a stud....

  • From: "BlackHawk Farms LLC" <blackhawkfarmsllc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bhahn0616@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Sally Hayden" <dan-ann@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:02:57 -0700

Hi Barb,

I think its the beauty of the GSD's mind that attracts us to this breed. My
first dog was from "champion lines" that I bought out of a newspaper in AL.
He was a whopping $75.00 and I had to save my recess and lawn mowing money
to get him. He was uglier than homade sin (I think Sharon Allbright has a
snapshot of me at 15 with him in a field of Clover) but he had a BRILLIANT
mind. As a kid, I would take him off lead in the woods (remember back when
kids got a stick and went in the woods and played all day long on
saturdays?) and we would go explore. When I was good and lost i would turn
to Rexx and say, "lets go home" and each time, he would always bring back to
the main road back to the house. I dont know if it was G-d protect a young,
innocent kid or what, but he was a very loyal, protective boy. I remember
one time, as boys do, my older brother and I getting into a scuffle and
before my brother knew what was on him, Rexx had him on he ground pinned as
if to say, "Touch one hair on his head, and your throat is mine". Never had
any specials training, and I guess you could say he was from champion lines
(he was a great grandson of Stencil Me of Billo) but nonetheless, he was my
first and to this day, I miss that dog and get a little misteyed thinking
about him. While they all cant be showdogs, sometimes a good dog can lead
you in the right direction. As they saying goes, it takes only one good
shepherd to spoil you, and you cant go back.

Mike