[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A stud by any other name is still just a stud....

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Barbara Galasso" <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 12:17:14 -0500

Hi All, I came across this thread a few days late as I was away from my
computer. Work seems to be cramping my style some. Nonetheless as I read a
few of the responses, I was prompted to pick up my standard and review
disqualifying faults. Before I pose this question, I want to make certain
that all understand that I do not advocate this "breeder's"mind set or do I
agree with his breeding practices, however, here is my question " Is one
sin greater than another?" In other words, do we pick and choose which
disqualifying fault is "acceptable" and which is deemed unacceptable. I
have known dogs and bitches that have attempted to bite judges..not once,
but on a few occasions, the bitches are bred and the males offered to the
public for breeding. I bred two bitches that belonged to other breeders who
had "hanging" ears to Bull, each produced a champion.So did these breeders
not have a right to improve and should I have not bred their bitches?or do
we deem "white dogs"or other color faults( blue and livers are not listed
as disqualifying faults..just nose color is, which covers the two
aforementioned off colors) Do we turn our heads to the other disqualifying
faults and just pick and choose which ones we want to be "offended"
about?By all rights I should have turned away the bitches with hanging
ears, but I didn't..but I would not breed my dog to a white dog or other
off color. Over the years I bred some outside bitches that I personally
felt where unsound..but by breeding to my dog, they markedly improved the
temperaments in the resulting progeny..so what is the answer and where do
we draw the line? Or are we all being a bit pious? Christine

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM