[ SHOWGSD-L ] A stud by any other name is still just a stud....

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Showgsd-l'" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:31:04 -0700

I always consider the term "Breeder"   to mean someone that 'breeds their Breed'
according to the Standard with a constant eye for improvement.     Not someone
that merely allows their dogs to 'procreate'  for a fee.........?
That being said......I see nothing wrong with breeding to a pet quality bitch
with a really
good pedigree.    Every single Champion we see has pet quality
littermates......many
achieve their R.O.M.   Some produce less faults than their Champion littermate.
Breeding to something like a white is unnaceptable to me as it is a
disqualification
according to our Standard and a result of generations of breeding FOR a
disqualifying
fault.  ( equivalant to breeding for down ears in my thinking. )
Sorry............Sigh......... .let the war begin.........

Breeding to a bitch with a bad bite or one with ears not standing can be done
with some
forethought on whether your stud will help or make it worse.    Again..many top
Champions
have a littermate or progeny with ears that did not come up........ or a bad
bite.
I know of a bitch from this area with a rye bite that was a top producer of
several nice
progeny and Champions and I think the owner bred her to several different studs.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com