[ SHOWGSD-L ] A response...

  • From: Debbie Britch <ddkennels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 17:24:08 -0700 (PDT)

 Our white dogs work & perform the function of every solid GSD, Many know and
see that. I keep reminding you we were accepted once. To put our DQ off on the
SV is an interesting argument. Especially when a few years ago the GSDCA blew
them off entirely when they wanted you to accept their standard word for word.
So it seems only the argument against whites is one you like?? No one wants you
to breed white dogs, just dont BAN them. My friends in white are responsible
educated breeders. For heavens sake where would the fancy be without
participants willing to spend money, time & dedication?? Its a necessary evil
to think of revenue and followers or the game dies a slow death. Thats a simple
reality. Im not being disrespectful here just honest and sensible.

On Aug 4, 2011, at 9:36 AM, Ruth Scheubler wrote:
Seems like I must be confused AGAIN!
I thought that the reason there was a standard was to tell the
difference between one group of dogs and another. It is because of the
standard that the dog at my feet is a GSD - looking a specific way,
acting a specific way, and moving a specific way.

What makes a breed is that some people decided that they wanted a
specific set of traits in a dog - they used to be based on function -
and then breed towards that "ideal". When you start a breed you work
with what you have and selectively breed to get to where you want to
go. So this breed started off with some dogs who had wiry coats, long
soft coats, drop ears, were white, and any number of other
characteristics which were used because they also offered some traits
that were highly desirable. So breeders would breed towards the ideal,
removing dogs who showed the unwanted traits as they were able.

Now some want to add "increase the number of people competing at dog
shows" to the breeding requirements? You know there is was "breeder"
out here who used to have a full Easter Basket of colors you could buy
- all shades from sable through black to liver, blue and white, lots
of "pastels" - and all coat lengths. They were all registered as
"German Shepherd Dogs". And she could easily have added numbers to the
entries. Heck if we had divided Open classes, she could have filled
them all. And she would have received ribbons 'cause we changed the
standard to allow for those dogs because we wanted the entries.

Everyone on this list says they are "breeding to improve the breed" -
is breeding away from ideals doing that? We have enough people who
breed for ribbons and not for correct dogs as it is.

If people want to breed white or purple or pinto - fine - but do so as
part of a white, purple or pinto breed with that as your ideal. Breeds
are no more than definitions - and a breed label does not really
determine if an individual dog is good or not. Good dogs can be in any
breed or mix or non-breed. But to call them good "German Shepherd
Dogs" you make an assumption that they have the traits described in
the standard.

Ruth

"When it comes to the last hour of your life, it will be a great consolation to
feel that you always protected the poor, the helpless, and the unfortunate; and
that you excercised a particular care toward animals."--Caroline Earle White