[ SHOWGSD-L ] A rescue quickie

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 10:44:34 -0700 (PDT)

(This was on Craigs list and sent to me via a rescue person who I really
appreciate...wanted to share with everyone)

Lassie, Cleo, Rin Tin  Tin and Toto don't show up in rescue. We don't
get the elegantly coiffed,  classically beautiful, completely trained,
perfectly behaved dog. We get the  leftovers. Dogs that other people
have incompetently bred, inadequately  socialized,
ineffectively "trained," and badly treated. Most Rescue dogs  have had
it. They've been pushed from one lousy situation to another.  They've
never had proper veterinary care, kind and consistent training, or
sufficient company. They've lived outside, in a crate, or in the
basement. They're scared, depressed and anxious. Some are angry. Some
are sick. Some have given up.

But we are Rescue and we don't give up.  We never give up on a dog. We
know that a dog is a living being, with a  spirit and a heart and
feelings. Our dogs are not commodities, things, or  garbage. They are
part of sacred creation and they deserve as much love and  care and
respect as the next Westminster champion. So please, please don't
come to rescue in the hopes of getting a "bargain," or indeed
of  "getting" anything.
Come to Rescue to give, to love, to save a life -- and to  mend your
own spirit. For Rescue will reward you in ways you never thought
possible. I can promise you this -- a rescue dog will make you a
better  person.

thanks for all you do
holly vestal

Dawn Restuccia, Pres.