[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A real mess

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:13:09 -0400

I don't know that Helen's last comment is correct.
Sometimes work product belongs to the worker...if those people (Kerri
and whoever the other person was) were to pursue the matter in a court
of law,
the outcome might be that (a) they were working independently, and were
not employees of the PC...therefore, anything they produced might be
considered
"work product," historically considered to be the property of the
creator, unless there is a written agreement that the work product
belongs to the entity
paying the creator...and even then, work product has been found to
belong to the creator.  In cases I've known of personally, the court has
deemed the creator, not the user, to be the owner.

    Think of it this way...if you hire a company to put new shingles on
your roof, the shingles belong to them until the roof is
finished........you don't own the shingles, just
the finished product...

    The PC owns all issues, and the name of the publication,...but
ownership of work product used to produce those issues...not so sure.
Peggy