[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A real crazy idea

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 09:23:59 -0800 (PST)

John ,if asked I will help with this project in any way I can!...Ed Hill
John Ayotte <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  This is not a stupid question at all,
Helen.

In fact, we have looked into doing this for the past couple of years.
I was all set to do a test in Albany, but plans changed and I could
not attend that year. I brought some stuff with me to try again this
past National, but we had such a hard time making a reliable
connection to the internet that I never really got a chance to run
the test.

Without getting too technical, there are a number of hurdles to
negotiate before this can be done successfully. Good quality
streaming video takes a pretty heavy investment in hardware and
software, as well as a high speed connection from the site to work
well. That being said, the connections are becoming more readily
available to us, Bill Pfieffer and I picked up some networking
hardware to provide more connections at a site when we can only get
one good one from the facility, and there are some slower, lower
resolution, options that could be implemented without a big
investment that I have been exploring. Unfortunately it isn't quite
as simple as just setting up a laptop with a webcam, given the
lighting conditions in the buildings, the distance from the rings we
can set up at, etc.

Bill and I are still exploring the possibilities, but it has not
become an official project of the GSDCA. Perhaps it should be. The
Video Committee (which I now chair) and the Internet Committee that
Bill chairs and I assist with could make it a joint project.

Not that I need anything else on my plate right now :-)

Any volunteers to help with this idea/project?

John

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John Ayotte
john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Frankenhaus German Shepherds
http://www.jmadesign.com/Frankenhaus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Jan 14, 2006, at 10:01 AM, VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I suppose,like me, some of you watched on either Fox News or CNN
> on the US
> Senate Confirmation Hearings. The first 3 days were on regular
> cable TV. On
> Friday they both put it in Streaming Video.on their web sites
> Now,I know
> nothing about the mechanics of how this is done. But I have a
> question to the
> Board,List administrators,And Listers.
> You know how many of us National "stay at homers" have enjoyed
> Evans
> running comments, on the Blog that Zoe and Marge arranged for us.
> We all
> commented that it was like being there. Five years ago,no one ever
> heard of a Blog
> The GSDCA already has a wonderful web site,and at least two
> photographers( one
> stationary,one roaming). Would it be impossible, either
> financially,or
> mechanically. to view our National on our web site via streaming
> video. This might
> be the stupidest question,I've ever asked,but the worse that can
> happen is
> for me to be told I'm nuts.
> Now I thought about the argument against doing this( if it could
> be done )
> That fewer people would actually attend the National--but I think
> that's
> wrong. People will always compete and go-----that people wouldn't
> buy the
> videos from the photographers. I don't think that's a problem.
> People buy the
> videos for many different reasons,--entertainment ,historical
> memories,education,evaluating dogs in slow motion &comparing,---
> all sorts of personal reasons.
> The benefits of this ,besides letting our "stay at homers" view
> it,is to maybe
> increase our membership. You could have a National viewing
> party,invite
> your puppy people over.---Now I am getting carried away
> elen
> Miller Fisher

> ======
> POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the
>
> ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE
> IN ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT
> THE EXPRESS PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST
>
> For assistance, please contact the List Management at
> admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx

> ======

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original