[ SHOWGSD-L ] A question about judges

  • From: "Pam Brink" <pamb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 09:22:14 -0600

I was at a recent show where I watched an unusual judging performance-I was
outside the ring, where I belong.

The judge appeared to be confused a number of times when checking his
judge's book against the dogs stacked in the ring waiting evaluation.  He
would look at the dogs, back at his book, makes some notations, look at the
dogs again and again make notations.  Then he would walk up to the handlers
and, with judge's book in hand, check each handlers number against the
judges book.  This was after the ring steward had checked each dog entering
the ring.  Not only was this behavior puzzling it also took up a lot of
time.  Then in the BIS ring, he did the same thing, looking puzzled.  Then,
going up to each handler and checking the number, he asked, "and your dog
represents the ------ group?"  The handlers were laughing at him.

In watching this man I wondered if he had incipient Alzheimer's disease.
His behavior was so unusual.

At the same time, he picked up the fact that a special that had been given a
Group first the day before, was missing three teeth on the same side of its
mouth.  He did not excuse the dog or disqualify it, but he did notice which
the other judges had not. The dog did not take the breed as usual that day.

When you see a judge behaving as if he might be having trouble judging, is
there anyone who is to be notified?  Does anyone monitor judges who are
getting too old for the job?  I have been judged by some extremely adept 80
year olds, so chronological age is not the issue; it is the decline in
competence.  Or do clubs, by word of mouth, pass on that this judge has
passed his prime and no longer be invited to judge. (It goes without saying
that this applies to women as well.)  Evidently the club who hired this
judge had not gotten the word.  I felt sorry for the man, yet he accepted
the judging assignment.  Is he unaware that his acuity is fading?  That the
handlers are laughing at him?  It was an uncomfortable experience for me.

Pam Brink

pamb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://clubweb.interbaun.com/pamb/Index.htm