[ SHOWGSD-L ] A note from your 2009 Herding Chair

  • From: Theresa Royer <theresaroyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 12:23:37 -0800

Hello,

Herding is a partnership between the livestock, the environment, the handler
and the dog.   Everything must ?come together? to ensure a successful herding
'run' and event.  Given all of the variables, a herding event is one of the
most planning intensive events.  There are many variables when we step into an
arena to compete.   At this year?s National, my goal is to bring Herding ?to?
the National!

I am working with a great team of herding enthusiasts, Gail, Bill and the BODs
to indeed do our darn-dest to bring all of the Herding Events, including the
AKC Instinct test to Springfield.  Yes, even if you have never stepped into an
arena with your dog and sheep, you may have the opportunity to earn an AKC
herding instinct test title!!!!

The fact of the matter is the price tag associated with transporting, housing
and vetting livestock.  There are no available flocks of appropriate sheep for
our most entered A-Course in or near Springfield.  Therefore, we must transport
sheep across the state line.

Our committee is now exploring selling GSD or herding related items to off-set
some of our expenses.  We are always willing to take donations for trophies and
sheep transportation!

We will have a location decision made by mid-April so stay tuned!  If anyone
knows of any sheep suppliers in nearby states or you would like to assist in
our 'supplemental income program', please contact me privately.

In the meantime...happy herding and we will keep you up to date when we make a
final decision on location.

Sincerely,

Theresa J Royer

2009 Herding Chair