[ SHOWGSD-L ] A nice little story, nothing of profound importance

  • From: WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jclapp@xxxxxxxxxxx, jbungert@xxxxxxxxx, morgan@xxxxxxxxxxxx, WeeBairn2@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:25:04 EDT

About two months ago, there was a beautiful GSD sitting in a crate awaiting
grooming when I got to work.  The shop I work at is owned by a married couple.
Eileen and I do the scissored breeds, most of which are smaller (except the
standard poodles) and Paul does the larger breeds - GSD's, Goldens, Labs,
Newfies, we actually have a lot of VERY large breeds and some require trimming,
but
not the kind of scissoring needed for a Bichon or a Wheaten.  I've begged for
the GSD's but I only get them if Eileen sufficiently mad at Paul.

This dog looked very much like one of my dogs, to the point where I was
actually calling him by my dog's name and telling him to be quiet when he got a
bit
vocal.
I didn't get to meet the dog's owner, as I finished my dogs well before that
dog was due to be picked up.

This week, I took one of mine in for a bath and this same dog was there
again.  Side by side waiting their turns, they looked almost like twins,
confusing
everyone else in the shop except me.  Paul almost bathed my dog accidentally.
When the owner came to pick up "Oscar," she didn't see him because my boy was
directly in her line of sight.  She called him, and of course, Jojo ignored
her.

It was really cute -- she wanted to know "what's wrong with my dog?" "Nothing
- that's not your dog" -- there's so many old comedy routines that come to
mind.

Since I was able to meet the other dog's owner, I asked about his lineage.
"Oscar," it turns out, is sired by a Select Champion.  I'd have loved to see
the entire pedigree but she had a hard time remembering the kennel name let
alone the breeders name, she only remembered the father's call name and I put
the
rest of the story together.

It was just a really neat experience, and I wanted to post it because we more
often hear about placements gone awry for lots of different reasons.  This
dog is well behaved, and in perfect weight.

Oscar's owner wanted to let the two play together but I explained that you
really don't want two mature males nose to nose.  The two were looking at each
other in that way only two GSD's who know they are of the same breed do.  (Or
in their case, maybe they thought they were looking in a mirror : - )   )

Oscar is a much loved family pet.  I try not to post names until/unless I've
gotten permission from the owner (in this case, the sire's owner) but I DID
want to share the story.

Kelly Busse
Wolfheart German Shepherds