[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A little about the P&P

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: klite3gsd@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 07:24:42 EDT

In a message dated 8/10/2006 9:27:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
klite3gsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I agree  with those who have said that it is NOT
FAIR to change the rules regarding  a job description AFTER that job has been
filled.  At least, not right  away.  If the rules are to changed, that should
have been accomplished  prior to the job being filled.  Or, change the rules
and open the  position to new candidates.  Anything else reeks of cronyism  -
regardless of that being true or not true - the appearance of favoritism  is
just as bad as real favoritism.

I kept quiet about this until  Gail Sprock herself made clear what was - and
what was not - the situation  when she became editor.  Thank you, Gail.  I
have absolutely  nothing against Susan - in fact, as a long ago former member
of the Rocky  Mountain GSDC, I'm happy to see her do well and applaud her for
what she's  done so far with the Review.  I'm happy to see her win  this
position.  But - the bigger issue is -- can we bend the rules  when it's not
fair, or right?  Or should we take the higher road and  do what is right and
most fitting to dispell any appearance of  impropriety.

Maybe I'll get a lot of hate mail for this - and let me  say right now that
if I had to choose between solving this issue vs.  getting world peace - I'd
definitely push toward world peace.  But I  can't make Israel stop bombing
Lebanon, and I can't make Hesbollah stop  terrorizing Israel - so instead
I'll post on the things that maybe I know a  tiny bit about, and then sit
back and see what  happens.

Thanks!
Kim McNamara - Kimberlite, Newnan, GA
Member  GSDCA (America) and GSDCA (Atlanta)

Kim,

Thank you for you excellent post.  There are obviously two distinct  issues;
the need for the current rule and the process to change the same, if  indeed
it is changed and the consequences to the application process.

I've heard good arguments on both sides re the need for "the rule" (and
thank you Gail for providing historically accurate data.).

Folks, that's not the issue.  As Laurie, Cindy, Molly, Patty,  Kim and others
have pointed out, the rule was in place and a condition of  the position
PRIOR to the whole application process.  To change it now,  would require
re-opening the process, or I'm sure face a lawsuit.  (One IMO  with merit.) I
don't
think it can be any clearer; some people didn't   considering applying because
they didn't want to give up their hobby or in some  cases their livelihood or a
portion of the same.

I can't imagine re-opening the whole process; how cumbersome! BUT,  since the
rule was a condition of employment, legally, I don't see how you could
remove it without leveling the playing field...so, I say let it stand and move
on.

Now, if you want to change the rules for any subsequent positions, the
lesson learned here is to do so PRIOR to the position being advertised.  We
can
have a lively debate on that:)

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_