[ SHOWGSD-L ] A good post is worth repeating. Make that EXCELLENT.

  • From: Penny Kroh <farmdogforever@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 12:36:06 -0400

A good post is worth repeating.  Again and again.
Penny in NC
The Farm Dog Forever
**********************************
The GSD is still popular, just not in the conformation ring. The problem is
not the judging, rings, etc. it is the PEOPLE. In fighting
litigation, arrogance, manipulation of the breed by a handful for profit,
an inability to create an illustrated breed standard with
donated funds( which is now long gone) , an unwillingness to accept new
people who aren't connected to the "old" people,
an attitude that at specialty shows behavior that is deemed unacceptable at
every other show, is acceptable at our shows,
questionable business practices by breeders and handlers and a lack of
accountability for those practices, etc, etc. I could on
ad nauseum, ad infinitum. As long as everyone keeps looking to assign blame
everywhere else be where blame should be
assigned it ain't gonna get better. As for ring size..ever watch an Afghan
hound move? Even a good Cocker can cover some
ground. I have currently seen breeds that can out move what we are showing
in GSD's so the notion that we have a corner
on the market in movement is a fiction and is exactly the arrogance I was
referring to above!As for judging..how is it different? Finding
a good one should be the same in every breed that is judged. It is a matter
of pride and as a judge I think you would want to
demonstrate to the fancy that you have knowledge of not only your own
breed, but in finding quality in others as well. I read
a post by someone who stated that GSd people should attend more all-breed
shows. Those are wise words. I learned the
most about grooming and structure by not only watching GSD's but by
watching other breeds and trying to evaluate and find
the best ones in other breeds as well. Christine

http://showgsd.org/mail.html