[ SHOWGSD-L ] A dog in your progeny's future/ an original "tale"/don't let it happen !!!

  • From: "Beryl" <arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:02:50 -0700

The scene, in someone's residence 2057. Some of you will be around 50 years
from now. Some of us won't be, but our progeny probably will be. What kind of a
world will it be?
Imagine this:

"Grandma. grandma!" the youngster exclaimed. Look what I found ! What is this a
picture of and who is that person with that thing? What ever it is. I don't
think I have seen anything like that before, what is it and what was it used
for?
 "Oh my dear child " answered his grandmother, "that is a picture of a dog.
Dog were known as man's best friends. There were all kinds of dogs. Many
different breeds and variety's.
Our family at one time had dogs. We bred them, we entered them in shows. It was
a wonderful life. Our children enjoyed our hobby also. Many people we knew at
that time made dogs and showing or breeding them their whole life, then it all
ended. Eventually all of the dogs disappeared."

"But how? How could that be grandma, if so many people had them, loved them,
made them part of their lives what happened?  Did they all die from some sort
of accident or disease?"

Tears welled up in grandma's eye's as she choked back the words that came from
her mouth. " No they didn't all die, but laws were passed by people who were
anti-dog, and those of us who had always had dogs in out lives were forced out
by government legislation. All of the dogs were spayed or neutered except for a
select a few.  Those select few could not meet the supply and demand, and the
gene pool was seriously compromised. It was so very sad, many beautiful lines
in various breeds  began to disappear.  Eventually over the years the dogs
became extinct, not unlike other species of animals of hundred's of year ago.
Dog's were man's best friends. They were so versatile and really loved by many
people, quite possibly the majority of the people. The people who forced this
issue won out, because of the apathy of those who cared for dogs. Many did
care, but didn't care enough to write letters, send emails, got to meetings and
do everything they could possibly do to defeat, the Senate bill that started
all of this. It started in one state and each year a few new states adopted the
same legislation. Eventually even the importing of dogs was stopped by new
legislation, and life as I once knew it would never be the same. Oh how very
much I miss having a dog in my life !......and the tears began to flow. Grandma
could not speak about it any longer, it was just to painful to remember what
once was so much a part of her life, and brought so much joy, and now is gone!

Beryl Eshom
written on 6-20-2007 from my heart.