[ SHOWGSD-L ] A day in the sheep pens.......

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (AA GSD List)
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 03:53:42 +0000

The North Georgia All Breed Herding Dog Association held its quarterly fun day
today.  And what a hoot it was...... fun and games with sheep and
dogs...exercises on specific obsticles, etc.   Our long time stock handler had
his pick of young dogs and for the first time, Gilli spent the morning in the
pens putting out stock for the others.  Working in a tight pen with LOTS of
sheep is nothing like working in an arena.  It takes an expecially strong dog
to face down sheep in a small area and move 'em!   WOW!  I can't begin to tell
you how proud I am of this little Spit Fire!!!  She did GREAT!
Then Yancy, who hasn't really worked stock in over a year, came out.  Now,
those of you who are into 'sheepies' and/or doggie t-shirts must be familiar
with "Sheepwrecked", right??  For those of you who aren't ....it is a
characiture of a person riding backwards AND UPSIDE DOWN on the back of a
fleeing sheep - staff waiving and obviously making noises.  Its usually caused
when a dog decises to push the sheep either over, or through, the shepherd.
Well, today I became the poster child for that t-shirt... AGAIN.  I can tell
you with all honesty that whatever the words were coming from the first person
to do this...probably could melt concrete.  Mine could have today.  Yancy
proceeded to 'help' me by driving one sheep right back between my legs for a
ride across the arena.  The other four decided to get in on the act by
tapdancing on me after I hit the ground.  OOF!

So today, Gilli and I both spent time in the sheep pens getting up close and
personal with sheep and their end product.  Hot water and ALEVE........  I need
a leve..... I need a leave.....

Schutzhund is sooooo much safer than sheepies!!  But not as unpredictable!!

--
Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com