[ SHOWGSD-L ] A couple of stories

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Showgsd-l' <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 18:32:52 -0400

Besides seeing some great rock & roll bands over the years, my only
encounter with a "star" was when I lived and taught at a beauty school
in Connecticut.  I had just got a teaching job there.  One day on my day
off, my boss calls me and asks if I will do her a favor.   She knew this
director that lived in Connecticut and it seems he was filming a segment
of a movie at a restaurant there.  On this day his make up artist called
in sick.  So my boss called me and asked if I would go on the film set
and do the make-up on the lead actress.  Her name is Margaret Avery.  If
you seen the movie, "The Color Purple", she is the woman who is Whoopie
Goldberg's husband's mistress in the movie.  She's the one who does most
of the singing in the film.  So my boss convinced me that being that I
was a new teacher, this would be just the experience I would need.
Alright, so I admit I was a bit nervous but agreed to do it.  When I
arrived at the set, the director came running over to me and asked, "Are
you the make-up artist?"  I told him that I was.  He said, "I need to
talk to you.  Do you know who you'll be working on?  Do you know that
she was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress for her role in "The
Color Purple?"  I acknowledged that I knew who she was.  He says to me,
"Well she's acting like a real B---H, now go in there and she what you
can do for her!"  Did I already mention that I was nervous?  Anyway, she
was everything he said she was and then some.  She was a tiny little
thing, but with a big personality..........demanding, a dictator, and
rude.  When someone from the film crew came knocking on her door to tell
them they were ready for her, she opened the door and said, "Well,
that's just too bad.  You'll have to wait!"  I did her make-up but she
would grab my hands and tell me make sure I didn't touch her face too
hard.  Then she demanded false eyelashes.......she didn't want the kind
that comes on a strip, no, that wasn't good enough for her.  She
insisted that I do individual lashes, one by one!  Anyway, when I went
there I thought I'd be there only to do her makeup and leave, but she
insisted that I stay all day while she filmed her parts so I could touch
up her makeup.  I gained such a tremendous amount of respect for the
whole film crew, because it's not just about the actors.  They all work
together to make a film good.  Anyway, at the end of the day, she
finally loosened up and acted like a normal person and thanked me and
allowed me to take a picture with her that she signed for me.  I had two
GSD's at the time.....neither one of them were invited to the set.  Barbara