[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A color solution?

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Gsdman2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 22:40:55 -0700

From: "Robert Utter" <utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>To: <Gsdman2@xxxxxxx> ( snipped )

>Anne writes:    One question is WHY isn't the GSD supposed to be white?
                ***************************
I suppose the same reason a Dalmation is supposed to have spots and a Boxer
must have the white chest and feet, and Burmese Mt. Dog has three colors
and an Irish Setter is red.
Because the "founding Father" of the Breed and Parent Club felt it best......<G>

> Anne writes: Second question is - If, as sometimes mentioned, it was because
> of
> things that have since been proven false,  Why is it still > disqualified?
   Is it because the vote of the board was that it simply > does not like that
color?
  Does that color affect the ability of the > dog?
               **************************************
Would we want Dalmations  to become whites because some "like" it?
Should Irish Setters now change and be allowed white feet because a few think
it cute?
I don't think any of the acceptable colors in ANY Breed Standard  "affect the
ability"
of the dogs.   It does however define every single Breed!!    Someone will
likely
prove me wrong...but doesn't every Breed Standard have some color specifics?

>Anne writes: I remember when blacks were frowned upon.  Now they are in demand.
                      ********************************
I didn't know that blacks were frowned upon?   I just thought it was so hard to
find a GOOD black??  I have a couple.....I did not know they were now in
demand???

>Anne writes:  Yes, other breeds disqualify certain colors or markings as they >
> apparently >seem to wish.   But this all requires a change in the breed >
> standard.
 > I guess it wasn't hard to change the breed standard to > disqualify the
> white color. > Anne
Again.......I think every single Breed is defined by certain colors???

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com