[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A YES vote

  • From: caggra@xxxxxxx
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 08:42:39 -0500

Hi Evan,

Just playing Devil's Advocate here.....but below you say that you "were not
asked to give your opinion and that you are just an observer."
Isn't the point of an elected Board to funnel the voice of it's membership
through the elected members??  And isn't the most important reason any of us
vote for someone to be on the board to represent us, our passions, beliefs,
cultures, etc.?

I guess I am just having a difficult time reconsiling the fact that the
membership overwhelmingly voiced their opinion on this issue before the board
meeting.  There have been many issues that have split our club.  However, I
would venture to guess that if we took a vote by the entire membership, that
this would not be an issue that would split our membership.  I bet it would be
a landslide vote.   The board's 9-8 vote does not at all seem representative of
the membership voice.

In addition, some of the Board members that voted yes to Hunte are usually some
of the most vocal on this list.  You say we will soon hear from one of them and
that is all good.  But, the members have been crying out to them for several
days now, only to hear nothing.  I am certain some are traveling or have work
or other obligations...but not all of them.  I can only guess that they are
waiting for a calming period.  That is called avoidance.   In my line of work
avoidance is simply not tolerated.  In most lines of business it's not.  I
think the most important trait we could ask of our elected officials, in any
area, is responsiveness.  Even if I still won't agree with what went down, I
don't think that it is unreasonable to ask for response.

I like this board. I like it a lot.  I voted for most of them and I feel that,
in general, they do a great job.  My fear for them is that one or two big
issues are going to taint their terms.   So, let's not let that happen.
Communication is the key here.

Thanks,
Jeff Pyle