[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A Third to the Rainbow Bridge in less than a month

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: terrycochran97756@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:57:22 -0400 (EDT)

Well...I can tell you what I learned.  You have a build up of a  normally
found bacteria in the small intestine.

There seems to be a correlation between dogs w/ less than ideal pancreatic
function (under 10, where as a diagnosis of EPI is under 2.5)

The same families that show issues w/ EPI, SIBO, Mesenteric Torsion also
have a higher incidence of TG, which shouldn't be rocket science because it's
 pretty easy to understand how a poor immune/digestive system causes poor
food  absorption and therefore a buildup of bacteria, gas etc.

Some of the same families have a high incidence of GDV as well, again, I
can get my head around how that would be, ineffective digestion, bacteria,
gas,  etc.

What I have done is test dogs to be bred and will NOT consider using a
dog/bitch under 10.   I am paying very close attention and staying  away from
certain lines. If I hear about EPI, SIBO etc., immune disorders  like
allergies, chronic yeast/ear infections...I'm out.

Cautious of closely in-line bred dogs because that keeps coming up in the
same families that have a higher incidence.  This could be a case of a
"bad" not having to be there in the first place, but a case where immune
system/function is diminished by in/line breeding.

Chuck Krueger did a lot of work on this, you can find some of his articles
on line.

I'm not starting the in/line breeding wars, not starting the "is it a
genetic issue?" war.  I know I am cTLI testing and not taking a chance on
pedigrees that have produced the above.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 6/18/2013 10:57:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
terrycochran97756@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I'd  there any known cause for toxic gut. I would like to hear more on
this. I have  never had it but would like to know.

Sent from my iPad

On Jun  18, 2013, at 4:44 AM, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx wrote:

> [...]
> You will too.  I'm sorry:(
>
> Kathy,  member GSDCA, DVGSDC
> Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd  Champions
> visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/
>

> In a message dated 6/17/2013 10:13:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight  Time,
> cimarrongsd@xxxxxxxx writes:
>
> I  cannot  believe that I am writing about a third dog passing
> over  the Rainbow  Bridge.
> Two weeks ago I was writing about Cimarron's  Listen to Her
> Heart  (Dinkums) passing.
> Two weeks   before that I was writing about the  passing of my
> old girl  Roxey, Cimarron's Reaction to Action RN.
> Today, I  am writing  about a youngster.  He wasn't even 14
> months  old.
>  Cimarron's Utter Chaos passed over the Rainbow Bridge early
> this   morning.
> Chaos was on his way to what I think would have been   a
> championship and then some.
> He was the pick of the litter  that has  already shown so much
> promise.
> I was very  confident that his dam would  earn her ROM from
> these 5  boys.
> Just this past weekend, I was bragging  about him to  anyone
> that would listen.
> I returned home from shows  Sunday  evening to find him not
> himself.
> Nothing  extraordinary, just kind of out  of it.
> Then it progressed into  not eating and then the retching.
> I  scrambled to find the home  phone number of my vet with no
> success.
> I  tried  contacting my backup vet with the same result.
> I was wondering if  it  is written in stone that dogs must get
> sick late on  Sunday?
>
> Well,  the periodic retching continued.
>  He was not bloated nor were his gums  pale.
> He seemed to be  running a temperature.
> I hoped he would be ok  until  morning.
> But he died shortly before the vet even opened.
> I  took  him to the vet anyway and had a brief necropsy done.
> No  bloat, No  torsion.
> However, the vet said the small intestine  walls were red  and
> hemorrhagic, and there was free blood in the  abdomen.
> He diagnosed  the cause of death to be hemorrhagic  enteritis.
> This kind of sounds like  toxic gut, but I am not  sure.
>
> Seven hours after he died, he has been  buried  right next to
> the two freshly dug graves of the past four   weeks.
> Sorry, but I find this kind of depressing.
> I am not  even sure  that I have a picture of him.
> Chaos' sire and dam are  Cimarron's King of  Wishful Thinking
> and GCh Cimarron's Lovin'  Touchin'  Squeezin'.
>
> Cimarron's Utter Chaos
>  April 19, 2012 - June 17,  2013.
>
> /steve d.
> Visit  Cimarron Shepherds on the  Web!
>  http://www.cimarron-gsd.com/
> http://www.gsdcstl.org/
>  Happiness  is German Shepherd slobber on your car  window.

>  POST  is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the
> original  author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS  or
FORWARDS of
> any kind  are permitted without prior permission  of the original author
AND of
> the  Showgsd-l Management. ALL  RIGHTS RESERVED.
>
> Each Author is responsible  for the  content of his/her post.  This group
> and its administrators  are  not responsible for the comments or opinions
> expressed in  any post.
>
> ALL  PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE  FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY
> MANNER  OF ANY MATERIAL  WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS
> PERMISSION OF   ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS
EXPRESSLY
>  FORBIDDEN, AND IS  A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION
WILL  BE