[ SHOWGSD-L ] "A SELECT by any other name...is still a SELECT"

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 17:33:58 -0400

There are many, many fine dogs worth such note...but do not meet the=20
definition of the current term. I say that from my own personal opinion a=
nd=20
experience and truly wish there was a way to honor all of these good dogs=
=20
and still maintain the integrity of the term...SELECT.

Paul

Having had success on a smaller scale compared to some other very notewor=
thy breeders on this List, I must still say, although I've achieved succe=
ss on a smaller scale, it's still MY SUCCESS, it's still MY ACHIEVEMENT, =
it was WELL EARNED, and WELL DESERVED, having NO FAVORS sent my way.  I s=
ay this because of some of the well taken notes from Pauls e-mail which I=
've included above and his comments about the handlers at the National - =
is all well respected and he makes good points.       =20
In a recent e-mail of my own, I said I believe that the Grand Victors/Vic=
trixs, and Selects won on their PERFORMANCE on that day that they were ju=
dged.  In another letter from some other people they have quoted the defi=
nition of what a Select should be.....(sorry, I couldn't find those lette=
rs or the definition on the GSDC of America's web-site, but if my recolle=
ction serves me right, it said something about the Selects should be of e=
qual value as the Grand Victor/Victrix if they were judged on another day=
=2E  (Don't take my head off for not remembering the exact words, please)=
!  I don't necessarily agree with this wording.  The definition of GRAND =
is:  having more importance than others....having higher rank than others=
 bearing the same general designation.  The definition of SELECT:  chosen=
 from a number or group by fitness or preference of special value or exce=
llence.  (Merriam-Webster). =20
This being said - why is there so much discussion about the word SELECT?!=
  (Should it remain the same, should it be called by another name, should=
 it mean something else)?????  IMO ONLY....A SELECT IS A SELECT, no matte=
r if he's number 2 or number 18.  A SELECT IS SPECIAL,....GRAND IS HAVING=
 A HIGHER RANK OVER THOSE SPECIAL SELECTS.  Easy to understand, I would t=
hink.  In that JUDGES OPINION on THAT DAY, he/she didn't quite measure up=
 to his Grand Victor/Grand Victrix.....and isn't this what it's all about=
=2E.....he/she is the BEST OF THE BEST.  Having said that.....I've had tw=
o dogs go Select (one that I bred who went #3 out of 12 Selects given out=
 that year and a #9 Select out of my stud dog that was in a Select class =
of 9).  Both of these Select titles meant something to me.  My point is..=
=2E.high Select or low Select....a SELECT IS STILL A SELECT and an honor.=
  Maybe the  "current term" of what a Select should be should be looked a=
t again!!  As always, (for what it's worth), IMO....Barbara Galasso