[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A Rich Man's Sport

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: pretties1@xxxxxxxxx, BAERENTATZE312@xxxxxxx, sallyhayden5@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 23:40:50 EDT

I can feel the hurt and frustration in your post and it saddens me...

You know what...there are DOZENS of ways to enjoy this magnificent  breed.
The breed ring is only a very smmmaaalll part of it.

IMO...take care of you, take care of your family, pay off debt, fully fund
retirement accounts, have good insurance in place, help your children  get
off to a good start if you can and if at the end of the day  there's nothing
left for shows...then by all means share your glorious dogs by  doing some
therapy work. Put a smile on a sick child's face, be humbled by  the
gratitude in their parents' eyes, visit and aging soul and watch as  they
delight
in your dog's soft undercoat, really listen as they speak of dogs  in their
past...marvel at how your dog knows just how to approach... then tell  me
just how important that BOB rosette is.

If the economy, politics, the unrest in the world has you down, grab a
leash and a dog and take a nice walk in a park and see who you meet.   Remind
yourself what you loved about this breed in the first place, find it  again
and share it (...and I doubt it was the breed ring.)

Put a couple of performance titles on your dogs, enjoy the bond that forms
more than the alphabet soup behind their names.

Eventually the economy will turn, clubs will once again prosper, maybe
we'll even find majors. But for now, don't let a moment go by without  enjoying
the here and now and don't stress over things you have no control
over...much like our dogs.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 6/11/2011 9:54:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
pretties1@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I'm all  for someone who can/will explain how "middle class Joe" is
supposed to afford  the pricy rates for GSD's to be shown by someone other than
themselves. Maybe  if they charged less they would have clients longer & with
more than just  1 dog to show.
I don't think it will change as long as the more wealthy  keep paying the
asking price. Times are terribly hard right now. I know  myself, I work an
average of 60 hrs. per week to afford the little I  do.
There's always hope that someday the rates will decrease & become
affordable again.

---- sally hayden <sallyhayden5@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
> [...]
> not justify driving 3-4  hours one way just to watch the small shows. so I
> just stayed  home.but  old habits die hard.
> Then my cardi Truman came into my  life. dogs and dogs shows were fun
again
> as I could show him my self.  Have done a lot of winning and now just
waiting
> till fall and he  matures out  for the adult classes.We will also do
> obedience. I  still have not adjust to allbreeds but that too shall change
>
>  My point is I can understand why people leave  showing.  I   understand
the
> big numbers in performance. I can understand the German  style of showing
> people want to be active with their dogs  not  just write checks
>
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM,  <BAERENTATZE312@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > In a  message dated 6/11/11 11:27:53 AM, sallyhayden5@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>  >
> > It is sad isn't Lee--  It is now what it use to be a  Rich man's
sport.- I
> > see so many names on as owners I think I am  looking at a race horse.
> > sally
> >
> > I would  be curious to see what percentage fees, etc. have gone up in
our
> >  breed versus other comparable breed, Rotties, Goldens, Labs or
whatever  for
> > the last 20 years.  I bet our breed would be the  costliest to show
with the
> > highest rate of increase  percentage-wise pitted against those other
breeds.
> > Yes Sally, it  is reverting back to an exclusively rich persons sport.
> > Perhaps  everyone should take a hard look at whether getting the big
bucks
> >  right now with a bleak future for long lasting income versus being
>  > reasonable in fees charged to include middleclass John and Jane Doe
for  the
> > increased entries and long term income.  For example if  a handler
charges
> > $80 to show your dog in the ring for 5 minutes,  that's a rate of $960
per
> > hour. I know, I know, that's not all  they do for their fee, but it does
> > indicate how pricy fees have  become.  I won't even mention the National
> > fees.  I  don't begrudge anyone earning a living, and I'm not bashing
> >  handlers, I'm just trying to look forward and see what might
inevitably
> > happen to our sport and how we, as a fancy, can keep  it from becoming
> > affordable  only to those rich enough to  participate.  How much fun is
that
> > going to be?
> >  Regards,
> > Pat
> >

>  --
> Sally
>
> www.embroiderybysally.org
> including  Cardigan Corgis

>  POST is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the
original author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of
any kind are permitted without prior permission of the original author AND
of  the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

> Each Author  is responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group
and its  administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions
expressed in  any post.

> ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING,  REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L  WITHOUT THE EXPRESS
PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST  MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY
FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF  THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE
PROSECUTED.

> For assistance, please  contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org
> NATIONAL BLOG -  http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/

POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.