[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A Rich Man's Sport

  • From: Jackie Short <marcatoshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 14:21:36 -0400

*A very wealthy individual pays his/her handler a LARGE 4 figure bonus for a
down the line Select rating. Does this action set a precedence?*
Beyond a shadow of a doubt.  Seems kind of unethical to me too.  If you're
going to give that money, it should be held until the achievement
is...achieved, lol.  Otherwise it reeks to me of someone paying somebody to
pull some strings
*Out of several options will handlers automatically choose to handler
the dog/bitch owned by Mr. & Mrs. Deep pockets over a superior dog/bitch
owned by Mr. & Mrs. Average pockets?*
I think a few would take the dog from Mr & Mrs Deep Pockets.  I think others
who dearly love the breed will promote the superior dog.

*Are some of our best dogs/bitches not being shown due to the costs
at Futurities/Nationals?*
Without a doubt

*If yes to #3 is the breed compromised because of this?*
As a whole, I do not think so.  Good dogs (should) get breedings on their
merits, not their titles

*Is the PC losing participants for the Futurity/Maturity and National due to
handler fees or cost in general?*
Yes.  Not a doubt in my mind.
*
Are we reducing participation due to "bidding wars" for top, well known
handlers?*
No.  We're reducing participation by excluding people with ideals different
from our own, and discouraging people to try showing their own dog.

*Do  Mr. and Mrs. Deep Pockets have an obligation to avoid over the top
bonuses for the general good of the breed and it's participants?*
To this I say no.  If they have the money and the desire to pay out a lot of
money, that is their prerogative.  In this scenario, it is, in my opinion,
on the handler to learn when to say no, regardless of the dollar signs
spinning in their eyes.  Integrity needs to come from both sides.

*Do all breed handlers generally charge less per class because they have
several different breeds to exhibit?*
No.  I think they charge accordingly on the amount of work they need to do
with the dog in terms of grooming and the like.  I love the GSD breed, but I
do think that people put too much emphasis on the "special" way that our
dogs show, and act like it takes a genius to show the breed, because they're
just soooooooooo mysterious.  Anybody can learn how to show a GSD, as long
as they have the talent.  No different than any other breed.

*Are the majority of GS handlers working regular jobs (other than handling)*
In my experience, yes.
*
Do handlers have an obligation to promote the integrity of the breed?*
YES!!! What you are putting out there in that ring is telling people what
you support being bred!  So if you're showing a spooky dog, that reads to
the public as supporting an unstable animal.  Same goes for a dog that is
too aggressive, and one that is perfectly stable.  You are not just
presenting to a judge or the fancy!  You are presenting to the PUBLIC!

*Do handlers supplementing income by boarding, training, breeding, & selling
show stock realize sufficient income to enable them to reduce handling fees
to their clients?*
I think some do, and others do not.  I think those that do may still charge
high handling fees in order to create a "cushion" for themselves later in
life (their retirement).

*Generally, are handlers and breeders pricing/selling  'show prospects' for
about the same amount?*
I honestly couldn't tell you.  I will say that as a whole, I find prices
(ESPECIALLY prices for 8 week old bitches) to be a bit high from certain
breeders (regardless of whether or not they are also handlers).

*What gtds should be made by reputable handlers and also breeders
for 'top show prospects'*
I think there may be a typo here, so can't answer quite yet :)

*What if ever are the circumstances under which money should be refunded in
lieu of replacements?*
If deception is discovered after the agreement has made, and you end up out
of luck as a result of that deception (an example being that you were told
this dog had A pedigree and you found out it was really B pedigree).
*
What are the main obligations of a handler to his/her client - what are the
responsibilities of an owner/exhibitor to his/her handler?*
The obligation of the handler to their client is to be HONEST about the
dog.  To not take on a dog they (the handler) don't feel is a quality
animal, simply because somebody is begging them to do it for them.  The
obligation of the handler is to NOT take advantage of the client just for
more $$$.  Honesty, honesty, honesty!

The client is obligated to bring the handler dogs that they TRULY feel are
worthy of finishing, and not bringing "ROM fodder".  They are obligated to
be HONEST about any issues their dog may have (and there shouldn't be any,
because they should be bringing the handler a sound, stable dog that
shouldn't need much more than learning some ring manners).
--
Jackie & Jonathan Nguyen Marcato German
Shepherds<http://www.marcatogermanshepherds.com>