[ SHOWGSD-L ] A HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE: by DR. RONALD E. COLE (AB1634)

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 02:19:13 -0400

  -----Original Message-----
  CROSSPOSTED FROM

  TX-RPOA E-News
  From Responsible Pet Owners Alliance,
  the reasonable voice regarding animal issues in Texas.
  Responsible Pet Owners Alliance is an animal welfare organization,
  not "animal rights" and, yes, there is a difference.
  Permission granted to crosspost.

  June 24, 2007
  How do you know when an "animal rights" activist is lying?  When his lips
  move ...  Excellent article by Dr. Cole below!  AB 1634 is the proposed CA
  bill to mandate spay/neuter of all dogs and cats over 4 months of age
which
  means no pets 10 years from now.

  A HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE:
  By
  DR. RONALD E. COLE
  181 YERBA BUENA AVENUE
  SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94127-2549
  415 661-1881
  ron-cole@xxxxxxxxxxx

  Re:   OPPOSITION TO  PROPOSITION AB 1634

  Several years ago I came across the following definition in an old (1980)
  edition of William Safire's Political Dictionary, subtitled the New
Language
  of Politics:  BIG LIE:  a  falsehood of such magnitude and audacity that
it
  is bound to have an effect on public opinion even if it is not given
  credence by a
  majority; a propaganda technique identified with Adolph Hitler.

  Hitler wrote in Mein Kampf:  "The size of the lie is a definite factor in
  causing it to be believed, for the vast masses of a nation are in the
depths
  of their hearts more easily deceived than they are consciously and
  intentionally bad.  The primitive simplicity of their minds renders them a
  more easy prey to a big lie than a small one, for they themselves often
tell
  little lies but would be ashamed to tell big ones.

  Something therefore always remains and sticks from the most impudent lies,
  fact which all bodies and individuals concerned with the art of lying in
  this world know only too well, and hence they stop at nothing to achieve
  this end."

  The discussion went on to cover the McCarthy era hearings and the lies
  perpetrated by them.  What does all of that have to do with AB 1634?   The
  rationale for this misguided proposal is based on false and misleading
  figures.   Can I provide you with correct figures?  No.   No one can, but,
  the proponents of this bill are making false and misleading claims because
  reporting on euthanasia and shelter surrenders is neither accurate nor
  complete in this state where there is no standardized or uniform reporting
  from each shelter in the state.  Those of us who have been observing these
  figures over time see, even with the inaccurate and incomplete data, a
  steady downward drop in euthanasia and in shelter surrender, even though
the
  human population has risen precipitously over the past three decades.   We
  also know that several districts, beginning with San Francisco, which
paved
  the way, have achieved a no kill goal without any adverse dog and cat
  legislation, whatsoever.

  Richard Avanzino, whose innovative and marvelous ideas led to this
  breakthrough, has since left and moved on to administer the Duffield
  Foundation's Maddie's Fund, which helps poorer districts replicate this by
  providing advice and funds with the qualifying proviso that there must be
no
  adverse dog /cat legislation in that district.   Passage of AB 1634 would
  effectively cut off those funds.  The secret to vanzino's success lay in
  free and reduced cost neutering and spaying for dogs, cats and feral cats
as
  well as lots of public education.   He was neither judgmental nor
  confrontational, and this attitude and willingness to work with all
factions
  (animal welfare and animal rights) of the pet world set the tone at the SF
  SPCA, resulting in record amounts of donations in both volunteer hours and
  in monetary contributions.  He formed a partnership with the public,
rather
  than setting up an adversarial role, as most adverse dog and cat
legislation
  is apt to do.  His example, not that of Santa Cruz, the single district
that
  passed a mandatory s/n law, is the one we should all be emulating.

  The Big Lie is that there is no statewide pet overpopulation problem in
this
  state.  There are some districts that have not yet reached no kill that
have
  local pet population problems, and in all of them the numbers of adoptable
  dogs and cats that are euthanized are going down without adverse
  legislation.   Notice, I said "adoptable dogs and cats," because those are
  really the only ones we should be counting.   There will always be
  euthanasia because there will always be animals too old, too sick or too
  vicious to be placed in a family home environment, and there will always
be
  owner surrendered animals.

  The exaggerated, inflated, and fabricated numbers of animals put to sleep
is
  not something new.   It has been going on for many years, now  in fact,
  since 1990. The original San Mateo proposal was just such an outrageous
  attempt at change with its complete moratorium on breeding to be followed
by
  mandatory neutering and spaying of each and every dog and cat (with no
  exceptions), as well as to make it illegal to transport animals for the
  purposes of breeding.  This 1990 proposal was made in San Mateo County,
and
  the County Supervisor, Tom Nolan, and Peninsula Humane Society (PHS)
  Director, Kim Sturla, posed for T.V. cameras in front of barrels of dead
  dogs and cats with paws and tails grotesquely hanging over the barrels.
They
  claimed that 10,000 animals were being euthanized yearly. Fortunately, no
  action was taken, and two task forces were formed that met
  regularly.   I monitored one of them.   "Where did that figure of 10,000
  come from," we asked?  After getting the data we requested, we discovered
  that the  animals were eliminated to reveal about 650 adoptable dogs had
  been euthanized.   Today that figure has been reduced to zero in San Mateo
  County, and without mandatory n/s laws.

  So, what about the claims of the proponents of AB 1634?   First of all,
this
  is not a statewide problem and is not in need of statewide solution
because
  one size does not fit all.   The Big Lie is being used to try to convince
  law makers that it is a problem, and we can prove this unequivocally, and
  without playing our opponents' "numbers game."

  Fact:  Shelter euthanasia has been going down statewide, even in the worst
  areas.
  Testimonial Truth:  In the City of Los Angeles at a recent public meeting
  (May 2, 2007) the following was revealed in a report to the Public Safety
  Committee:

  "Since 2000, ASD has reduced the euthanasia rate by 20 percent using
  licensing incentives, promoting adoption programs and strengthening
  alliances with the animal rescue community. In addition, ASD has reduced
the
  number of impounds by a similar percentage through aggressive voluntary
  spay/neuter programs."

  >From Assemblywoman Shirley Horton from San Diego County:  The primary
  >reason I opposed AB 1634 is because it is overreaching.  For example,
about
  >7 years ago, San Diego County adopted a voluntary spay/neuter program
with
  >education
  as a centerpiece.  They had the chance to adopt the Los Angeles model,
which
  was very similar to what AB 1634 does, but they chose to take the less
  forceful, voluntary route.  This has, in fact, reduced the euthanasia of
  adoptable pets by 100% and is one of the most effective programs in the
  state.

  Supply and Demand Proof:  The numbers of adoptable dogs, especially the
  medium, small and toy sized dogs, in many district shelters have been
  reduced so much that the demand far exceeds the supply, forcing shelters
  like Animal Care & Control in San Francisco to send employees to the
Central
  Valley shelters to find and bring back adoptable dogs.  Some shelters and
  some prospective owners have even gone so far as to import these dogs off
  the streets of Mexico and Asian countries, all without health inspections.
  Sickly dogs have been reported imported from Eastern European countries,
  too.

  Yet, the hobby breeder, who will be most adversely affected by this bill,
is
  the least responsible for dogs and cats winding up in shelters.  A
  responsible breeder checks out the home of the prospective buyer before
  selling a dog and always is willing to take the dog back if things don't
  work out.  The irresponsible breeder probably is one who does not license
  dog (less than 20% of dog owners buy licenses) and undoubtedly won't
follow
  this law, either.   The tariff on each intact dog will not only raise the
  cost of these dogs to the average buyer, but will make it impossible for
  many breeders to keep extra intact dogs to preserve the gene pool.  It
will
  result in more breeding of closely related specimens with more genetic
  diseases as a result.   Some of the rarer breeds will probably disappear.
  Epidemiological studies in 4 major universities, including U.C. Davis,
have
  shown that hobby breeders are the least likely source of shelter
surrenders.
  They also provide a setting where a buyer can inspect the source (sire,
dam
  and breeder) of a prospective puppy and check on its genetic background
and
  its early socialization.

  AB 1634 does not begin to address the feral cat problem, which in San
  Francisco was much improved by a policy of aiding the feral cat caretakers
  by providing free cat fixes to ferals that were brought in to the shelter.
  These cats are then placed back in the colony, which keeps other ferals
from
  moving in, and which stabilizes and eventually reduces the size of the
  colony.  In all probability (without complete data), feral cats are the
  single largest number of animals being euthanized, and these are all
without
  owners.

  So, even without accurate reporting figures, we can accurately state that
  the proponents of AB 1634 have been perpetuating the Big Lie that has been
  part of their propaganda since 1990.  We know that the ultimate aim of the
  Animal Rights groups is the complete elimination of purebred dogs and
  pedigree cats through the elimination of breeding of these species.  This
  bill goes a long way towards that goal. I still remember the chilling
sight
  of a young man in his twenties sitting in the front row at one of the
  hearings in San Mateo in 1990 wearing a tee shirt with the letters "ALF"
  emblazoned on it.

  AB 1634 is also draconian and outrageously manipulative, as was the
similar
  proposal in San Mateo in 1990 which frightened hobbyists and breeders into
  seeking compromise.  Social scientists in the mass communications field
have
  found that the size of a requested opinion or behavior change is important
  to the degree of change effected.  Herbert Adelson, of Opinion Research
  Corporation observes:  "The more extreme the opinion change that the
  communicator asks for, the more actual change he is likely to get."  In
  other words if you want to produce a change, the more outrageous or
extreme
  the requested change, the more likely you are to get it.  The original San
  Mateo proposal was just such an outrageous attempt at change because some
  who opposed the mandatory n/s proposal thought that compromise of a lesser
  sort would help prevent the original proposal from being adopted.  And, so
  the unincorporated part of San Mateo County got an ordinance that included
  breeders licensing, something that would have had little or no chance of
  passing had it been the original proposal.

  John Hamil, DVM, a past president of the California Veterinary Medical
  Association, founder of the California Council of Companion Animal
Advocates
  that sponsored biannual Pet Overpopulation Symposia (now the Animal Care
  Conference), member of the American Veterinary Medical Association Animal
  Welfare Committee and the National Council on Pet Population Study and
  Policy, author of the CVMA and AVMA positions on early spay/neuter, is
  undoubtedly the leading authority on this subject.   The following quotes
  are made with his permission and should effectively debunk the proponents'
  propaganda, adding considerable weight to the list of proofs cited above.
He
  has stated that "The number of animals being euthanized in California
  shelters has dropped steadily for more than two decades despite the
  continuous population increase in families with pets.  Importantly, the
  numbers continue to drop faster in shelters that are in jurisdictions that
  do not have mandatory spay/neuter."

  He further states:  "The majority of dogs euthanized are medium to large
  mixed breed individuals .. belonging to irresponsible owners who are hard
  identify and who will never comply with this law and are noncompliant with
  many other community laws. The number of young,healthy, well socialized,
  adoptable animals euthanized is much smaller than the humane and
sheltering
  community has claimed.

  The number of animals euthanized continues to decline each year and varies
  greatly from area to area within the state.

  Why do we need a coercive, punitive and intrusive "broad brush" state law,
  when this is clearly a local issue?"

  And the answer to that last question is a resounding   We do not need such
  law.   It is totally unnecessary.

  One of the more preposterous claims is that it will reduce the costs of
  shelters and to the public throughout the state.  Dr. Hamil effectively
  debunks this spurious argument:

  "Even if it was possible to 'turn off the faucet', as Assemblyman Levine
  likes to say; there would be little reduction in the cost of shelter
  operation.

  As hospital owners know, most costs are fixed (facilities,administration,
  trucks, equipment, etc.) The shelter can't even reduce staff as we can in
  private business. Unfortunately, a reduction in the numbers of animals
  entering the shelter will only effect a small reduction in the overall
cost
  to the taxpayer. This is demonstrated by the steady increase in animal
  control budgets over the last two decades despite the number of animals
  entering the shelters and the number of animals euthanized decreasing
  significantly.

  The method of accounting, linking the overall cost of animal control to
the
  number of animals euthanized, exploited by the sponsors of this bill is
very
  misleading. Using this method, the cost of each euthanasia goes up as the
  number of euthanized animals goes down. The use of this tactic is
dishonest,
  disingenuous or, at best, misinformed."

  They would also have us believe that this would save the state millions of
  dollars because of reduced euthanasia.   Not so.  The animal control
  shelters and pounds would not close their doors.   Euthanasia is a
miniscule
  cost in the overall picture of animal rescues, rabies checks, animal
abuse,
  dog fighting, reuniting pets with owners, etc. that animal control
officers
  engage in every day.

  It is time to set the record straight and to tell the truth .The truth is
  that there is a pet population problem in some parts of this state, but
not
  statewide.  The truth is that those areas having problems should emulate
the
  techniques and efforts made in the successful areas, and perhaps the state
  should contribute money to assist with more public education and more low
  cost and free spay and neuter clinics in those areas having problems.

  A special aside to Democrats, many of whom seem to support this bill:  The
  truth is that the public is tired of big lies, whether they be about
  mushroom clouds, W.M.D.'s and other false reasons for going to war, or
about
  a supposed pet overpopulation problem and use of propaganda, based upon
  inflated, incomplete and inaccurate data.   Dog and cat owners come in all
  sizes and belong to all political parties.  We are united in our desire to
  see the truth prevail.  We are tired of propaganda and spin, and we will
  cross party lines, if needs be to vote against those who propagate it.
  Every poll I have seen shows that the public overwhelmingly opposes this
  overly intrusive bill.   If it were brought to a vote in this state, it
  would most certainly go down to defeat.  We should be able to count on our
  elected representatives not to perpetuate the Big Lie and not to enact
such
  an unpopular and unjust law.
  Sincerely,
  Dr. Ronald E. Cole
  Member Board of Directors San Francisco Dog Training Club
  Member Board of Directors The Animal Council (TAC)
  Member and former Vice President & Chair of Legislative and Legal Affairs
  Committee of the American Dog Owners Association
  Past President of THE ASSOCIATED OBEDIENCE CLUBS OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

  Responsible Pet Owners Alliance
  900 NE Loop 410  #311-D
  San Antonio, TX  78209
  Phone:  (210) 822-6763
  Fax:  (210) 822-9038
  Website:  www. responsiblepetowners. org
  $15 Annual dues (January - December)
  To share information, subscribe or unsubscribe,
  send an e-mail message to rpoa @ texas.net.

   Ginger Cleary,Rome, GA  ww.rihadin.com
  Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo
the fatigue of supporting it.  ~Thomas Paine
  Member GSDCA
  Member Sawnee Mtn Kennel Club
  GA Director Responsible Dog Owners of the Eastern States.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:33 AM