[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A Few Breeding Questions

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: gsdmomx3@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 08:17:45 EDT

When it comes to hips/elbows, although I just got permanent #s on a  male
from OVC at 18 months (before he was used for his first litter), I  have no
problem at all using a younger male w/ "good" or  better prelims. They aren't
the ones carrying the babies and  truthfully, I think starting a boy sooner
rather than later makes for a better  stud dog down the road.  Justin was 9
months I think for his first  litter (he'll be 10 on June 15) and JR wasn't
much older (he'll be 10 July  10th). The caveat here is that you want to be
in long-lived lines!

It would be unusual for me to breed a bitch before she was two, more from
the maturity standpoint and ability to calmly and successfully raise a
litter than worrying about hips/elbows.  I prelim everything and I  have bred
bitches just going on prelims if they haven't gone in for permanent #s  w/
timing issues, not wanting to x-ray right before coming in season etc.

But you do a lot more testing on GPs, CERF, vWD, thyroid so maybe that
breed is different.  Although...both CERF and thyroid results can change as  a
dog ages, so although it's super they are clear/at an acceptable thyroid
level  one year we all know it doesn't mean anything w/o a test the following
year.

Give Jinx a hug!

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 5/9/2011 5:53:36 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gsdmomx3@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

How many  breeders  prelim and then breed before the age of two?

And how  many feel it's OK to breed before all health testing had been
completed?

I am seeing a trend of doing this and just wondering  why?

Donna Turner

POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.