[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A FUNNY THING HAPPENED LAST NIGHT

  • From: Terry Cochran <terrycochran97756@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx" <DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx>, "Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx" <Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx>, "wynsum@xxxxxxx" <wynsum@xxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:51:05 -0800 (PST)

In Oregon at the cabin if you feed the dogs outside I can guarantee that you
will bring the bears in at certain times of year. I feed in crates on the porch
and then the dishes are never ever left out side. I was reading the list one
morning when Kent came down from upstairs he said, Hon get the camera there is
a bear eating pears right in the front yard :0) There she was laying on her
back having breakfast under my pear tree happy as a clam. We shooed her away
(with a 357) but she kept coming back.It will be interesting to see if she
returns this fall when the pears are riping. The bad part of this is that if
she had a cub this winter it will imprint  on the location of the pear trees.
They don't seem to go for apples just the pears. This will become a generation
after generation problem. If she does return we will have to call fish and game
and they will trap her.

One year there was a little steer that got chased across the Metolius river and
ended up at our place. He bawled and bawled for his mom but he did figure out
how to survive. He was just part of the scene for the first year and then he
started challenging the dogs. When he tried to head butt Izzy who was going on
13 at the time. I told Kent that he needed to go back to the Rez. We trapped
him in a dog run using some hay and Cobb treats. It took two days and some
engineering but we got him into the largest kennel run. He proceeded to kick
the living shit out of the kennel run but it did hold. Our kennels are now
cougar proof, bear proof and steer proof , tested:0)

Chilly in Chandler and it is snowing in Sedona, AZ
Terry