[ SHOWGSD-L ] A Different Perspective Perhaps /exactly

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: bhahn0616@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:38:22 EST

In a message dated 2/21/2007 10:58:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
bhahn0616@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Puppy  mills would not exist if they did not fill a need. Does your
interaction  with potential buyers include John Q or exclude  him?

Barb

You are exactly right Barb.

I remember years back now, commenting on an article in the AKC Gazette that
show or hobby or whatever the current politically correct nomenclature is for
what "we" are weren't filling the demand for well bred puppies.  The  article
went on to offer suggestions, mentoring co-owning (which I remember  thinking
was odd since that's a different twist for the AKC) and I remember
thinking....nope....don't want to.

I take calls, I try to educate, I refer to club members IF they have
puppies, I talk 'till I am blue in  the face and STILL I know IF a family  who
wants
a dog can't find one from what I would consider "reputable", they'll  still
find one.

I skip plenty of seasons.  CH bitches w/ OFA numbers, TCs, performance
titles, etc. are "skipped".  I just don't feel like producing puppies  unless I
or
the stud dog owner are going to keep/co-own something.  It's  too much work
and on occasion too much heartache and aggravation.  I'm not  interested in
putting a nice bitch with someone so that they can breed for the  pet buying
public either.  God forbid something goes wrong!

So you know what?  When I read that Gazette article years ago, I  "owned"
that I am part of the problem.  People want puppies.  Hobby  breeders don't
breed
enough to fill the demand.  I have no intention of  breeding "more" to put
even the smallest dent in it.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_
http://www.aol.com.