[ SHOWGSD-L ] 98 Can GVX 2000 SEL EXC GVX Aramist's Ivana of Kolbrook TC ROM OFA

  • From: "Donna" <onaluzlead@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <SHOWGSD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gsdshowlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 12:22:22 -0500

January 7, 1996 - October 30, 2007
Writing that after a week is still painful. I have put this off and have
been trying not to deal with what we all know is the inevitable when you
have dogs.but that special one makes it all come back even more painfully.
We have so many good memories of her and now her kids and grandchildren that
I almost feel selfish but as anyone who works towards a goal with a breeding
program knows you have your ups and downs. Ivana was mostly ups.her free
spirit, her proud smile, noble expression and elegant way made her not only
a great show dog but a great producer. She made sure she still reined the
Queen here, although Ivana and Chyna shared a Living room, never the same
furniture.neither one would tolerate that non sense. She loved going out
laying on the porch and sunning herself while I road worked until it was
Chyna's time then she would hide in the bushes and wait to try and
strike.which to know her was totally out of character.for the most part she
never had a mean bone in her body and accepted all that came to
Aramist.people, dogs, puppies, kittens, cats and as of lately even a pig.her
record as a producer is 2nd to none for a Grand Victrix, we were so happy
the curse didn't strike her in her producing dept.

For those who wonder, as usual I will tell the truth, she died of bloat.
Unfortunately that is the downside of her heritage. We can try and breed it
out.although it is a slow hard process and most are NOT honest about it.so
you can only do your best. We did find that she loved raw chicken and loved
following all of us around when we fed the dogs. Last week by accident she
grabbed a piece from the kennel girls bowl and ran off and ate it. We found
though that since July when all of these gassy attacks happened it was after
her eating the leg quarters. So we had stopped and we would cook chicken for
her food. She also ate Purina Sensative Stomach but she was always a picky
eater except for the chicken.The girl was horrified however did tell Leslie
the truth.I wasn't home, actually in transit from purchasing Scottys old van
(ours went on fire and blew up) another long story.but when I got home and
got out to show Les the van and dogs I had picked up at another clients
house.our live-in girl came running out and said both of you come quick
Ivana is huge.we pinned her, thought all was fine and then she acted normal
and wanted to come back in the house so we let her.every episode aged her
so.I honestly prayed she would fall asleep and go to heaven. I knew in my
gut this wasn't over.our vet was on the phone, knowing we unfortunately have
gotten good with this since she bloated 6 times since July's big episode. So
he instructed us to give her the GasX, let her sleep and keep her calm. We
did.but within an hour it started all over again.this time extremely painful
and bigger yet again. Both Leslie and I knew that if it started again, no
more selfishness, she had to go for that last ride.the decision had to be
made and kept. She had endured a lot of pain to stay with us for as long as
she did and gave us her love 100%. The ironic part of her waiting for me is
weird. She was fine when I pulled in the driveway, she was at Leslie's
side.Leslie said totally normal.She was tail wagging happy to see me
home.and then poof.so I do believe God works in mysterious ways, she waited
for both mommies to be home and I thank him for her, the time with her and
for what she gave us.and most of all that this waited for me to be home to
help Leslie get through this, for soul to soul, that was her dog.our
companion, daughter, house mate & traveling companion.

It has been a sad week here.so so sad. However, I tell my story in hopes
that someone who deals with and faces the bloat situation can learn from it,
use it and maybe something positive can come from it. I beg breeders to be
more upfront and honest so that no one has to go through the agony of that
painful ride like we did with Ivana screaming in pain.we are dog people we
have dealt with loss of animals from the beginning, imagine a child sitting
there in the car with unknowledgeable parent pet owners and while that
experience that will stay in our minds forever; what it would of done to
them. It's not always about the Money, the Prestige, the protection of a
certain bloodline, the sale of a puppy, it's about the dog and their well
being. You can't protect a bloodline that is damaged; but you can make a
difference and take a stand and make sure that people that have it do right
by it and breed up and breed the problem out IF they are going to breed at
all. Be HONEST.for that should be in our Breeders Code of Ethics.not telling
the public, oh never, not mine, and our dog is perfect, our bloodlines don't
carry that, etc. Sharing info is the key.and I know I can sleep at night by
being honest.

Thanks for listening, I know it's a bit lengthy; but I hope our experience
can shed some light, not just tears.

Best Regards
Donna Calabrese

Donna M. Calabrese & Leslie L. Dancosse
Aramist Kennels aka The Girlz, Home of  Am & Can GVX Ch. Ivana, OFA ROM, Can
Sel Titanic, OFA, ROM , NE BIM CAN SEL Ch & AM BIS CH Can GVX CHYNA... Visit
our website at www.girlzofaramist.com