[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 9-11...Why not a Federal Holiday? OT

  • From: Erynbrook@xxxxxxx
  • To: rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx, pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:58:08 EDT

In a message dated 9/10/2007 7:39:54 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I so  appreciate Peggy reminding us to fly our flags tomorrow.....but why is
this  day, the most
heinous day in American history NOT a Federal Holiday.   We have Pearl
Harbor Day, where about 1200 people perished, mostly  military.  Without
getting into the politics of it....it became a  holiday...
Does not the murder of 3,000 innocent civilians in a DIRECT  cowardly attack
on our country's soil, merit a holiday to remember them  by??????
Am I alone here?
Kathy Tank

Just my personal opinion, but I think our national holidays are designed  to
CELEBRATE people or positive events -- President's Day, MLK Day,  Memorial
Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day,  Christmas and
New
Years Day. And yes my family was affected by 9/11 with 4  deaths on the plane
that flew into the (my!) Pentagon so PLEASE do not take this  wrong, but why
would we want to celebrate the fact that our enemies were able to  come onto
our soil and wreak havoc in the lives of so many and tear a huge hole  in our
hearts? Pearl Harbor Day is not a national holiday but rather a national  day
of remembrance for all who died in just a few hours, and we do have a  day of
remembrance on every anniversary of that horrendous day in September,2001  with
ceremonies held across the country. The similarities between December 7,
1941 and September 11, 2001 are eery. Both were "sneak attacks" catching our
nation unaware and unprepared. Approximately 2,334 lives were lost at Pearl
Harbor and more than 2,900 on 9/11.

Much as I love ya Kathy I for one don't want a national holiday on such a
sad sad day. Better that we take a page from President Lincoln's Gettysburg
Address: "... we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in
vain
...", a phrase that was later used on "Remember Pearl Harbor" posters.

As I said - JMHO.

Susan Casey
SGM, U.S. Army (Ret.)