[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 8 year old Junior in the making

  • From: GStiefferm@xxxxxxx
  • To: almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:22:14 EDT

Hey,

Since I am a junior, I figured I could help a little!!!

"all she has ever taked about was showing dogs since she learned to
speak............"- that is great, I can't wait to see her show, encourage her,
 don't
be like some parents and force their kids to show in juniors.

"good manners and a knack for walking out like a little lady win, lose or
draw..... "-LOOSING- i tell you what i have came out of the ring real t-ed off
but no matter how mad i am i still congratulate the person that won, it is
hard  to keep your head up when you lose, but i have learn from the best- there
are  more bad days than good, and if you lose it doesn't mean your a bad
handler it  just means the judge didn't pick you, juniors is VERY VERY VERY
hard
with a  German shepherd. As for WINNING- what every you do don't be cocky the
judges see  that and hate it, there is a difference between knowing your a
fairly
good  handler than going in the ring knowing your going to win. just remember
to  always keep a smile on our face WIN or LOSE, its just a dog show as my
parents  say!!!!

"I just want it to be fun for her,,,,,,,but knowing the already competitive
nature of this little girl who has grown up wanting our dogs to win (she was
there with me in utero while we had the 97 GVX hahahaha and that started it
all)  "-  I am a very very competitive person, but i always have fun in the
ring
 even though it never shows, my biggest fault in the juniors ring is not
smiling,  i just can't, i get so serious, the KEY thing in the juniors ring is
knowing to  have fun!!!!!! NEVER punish your dog coming out of the ring or
after
you show  cause you have lost, always play with them....

"How do you make it JUST fun.......with no pressures ?" - you really can't,
its a very agressive invroment, i have alway told my self trust nobody but
yourself and your dog, work as a team. its always fun out side of the ring
talking to all your junior friends but when you enter the ring it is cut
throat.
If you love showing dogs it will be fun no matter what happens, just work
hard,  try hard, and have fun!!!!!!!

i hope i helped you a little!!

Elizabeth