[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 8 degrees of separation

  • From: Sandra Kozub <skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 19:09:52 -0600

Many years ago, I whelped my first Elkhound litter (but had whelped
quite a few GSD litters).   I keep the room warm & the first few days, keep
the whelping box quite warm.    The elkie pups were very restless, enough
so that I became a little worried.   I called the Elkie breeder from whom I
had purchased the bitch.   She told me that even new-born elkies like to be
somewhat cool.   Her suggestion was a cold pack (frozen) wrapped in a
towel be placed in the whelping box.   Within a few minutes of placing it
in the
box, I had two newborn (1 day old) pups crawling on top of it.

I kept the box relatively warm but always provided the ice pack.   The pups
used the pack quite often & were perfectly contented after that!

Sandy

>I have told the story before, and Tedi Cringes every time I do.
>
>I was on the road selling jewelry, out of town, and Tedi was home with our
>first litter of puppies. They were about ten days old by then. She called me
>stressed out as it seems the gas company shut off the gas in the middle of
>winter, due to a leak.  We had radiant heat, pipes though the floor, and
>it  was
>the middle of winter in Michigan.  The house turned to a freezing zone,  and
>Tedi was afraid the puppies would not survive.
>
>I suggested she build a fire in the fireplace and bring the puppies close  to
>the heat and keep them warm, and I would be home that night.
>
>The puppies would not stop screaming, and Tedi had built a fire in the
>fireplace, kept it roaring and moved the whelping box into the
>heat.  The  more
>they screamed the more she threw wood on the fire, and they would not
>calm  down.
>The room seemed warm enough, but the puppies just ran around yelling and
>barking.
>
>I got home, took one look, and pulled the whelping box away from the  flames.
>The pups looked at me and  immediately settled down, looked at each  other,
>curled up and went to sleep.
>
>It gave new meaning to hot dog.
>
>You can get too much of a good thing.
>
>Evan  (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)