[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 8 degrees of separation

  • From: ANN SCHULTZ <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:00:55 -0800 (PST)

Something similar happened to me today. I woke up at 5:30 am and there was not
a light in the house, no clocks, no nothing. Immediately I knew the power was
out. I have two week old puppies and the temp outside was 10 degrees.  I got up
, got dressed, found a flashlight and went to the kennel for the trusty old
1000 Honda generator. Luckily I have propane in my walkout basement that runs
with a 15 amp fan, so I  got the generator started and the heat going.  I
shudder  to think if this had happened when I was at work in this weather.
MeMe is a super mom and would have probably kept them warm, but no telling how
cold it would have gotten.  This reminds me of another story. I bought the
generator about 10 years ago at the same time a handler bought one at Sam's
Club for less then half of what I had paid and they reminded me often of what a
deal they had gotten. Well last summer she happened to ask me at a dog show, if
that was the original generator and I told her, it was and
 asked
 how her "deal" was working. Well come to find out, it had died years  ago. So
I guess you get what you pay for.                            .ELG440@xxxxxxx
wrote:
In a message dated 12/8/05 4:59:51 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
castlegsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
That was the time I was whelping my first litter and the heat and
electricity went out. The ice was so thick on the windows, you couldn't see
out. It was freezing in the house and I was petrified the puppies would
freeze to death without a working heat lamp. I was nervous enough about the
impending delivery without the additional stress of no heat. Luckily, my
wonderful bitch waited until the power was restored before I saw the feet of
the first puppy. I will never forget that day!

I have told the story before, and Tedi Cringes every time I do.

I was on the road selling jewelry, out of town, and Tedi was home with our
first litter of puppies. They were about ten days old by then. She called me
stressed out as it seems the gas company shut off the gas in the middle of
winter, due to a leak. We had radiant heat, pipes though the floor, and it was
the middle of winter in Michigan. The house turned to a freezing zone, and
Tedi was afraid the puppies would not survive.

I suggested she build a fire in the fireplace and bring the puppies close to
the heat and keep them warm, and I would be home that night.

The puppies would not stop screaming, and Tedi had built a fire in the
fireplace, kept it roaring and moved the whelping box into the heat. The more
they screamed the more she threw wood on the fire, and they would not calm
down.
The room seemed warm enough, but the puppies just ran around yelling and
barking.

I got home, took one look, and pulled the whelping box away from the flames.
The pups looked at me and immediately settled down, looked at each other,
curled up and went to sleep.

It gave new meaning to hot dog.

You can get too much of a good thing.

Evan (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament come together

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

Ann
www.edangsd.com