[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 501(c)(3)

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Samuel Israel <israelfriedberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 19:28:35 -0800

Sam, please understand that I was indeed summarizing and as I
mentioned, somebody else might have heard it differently than I.
(Nah!!! <VBG>)

However, if I remember the reasons for establishing a Trust
immediately, (and yes, I know that you and Evan both work with Tax
Law, and I am only related by experience and Motherhood:-),  it was
because the Board was asking the most expeditious way to start
collecting donations. It seemed that the suggestion from Mr. "Ed" was
that 3 entities could be considered, and he discussed each of them.
The Board seemed to lean toward the Trust as the fastest with the
least fuss. (LIke that that legalese I use???)  I seem to remember Mr.
"Ed" saying many other things... Establishing whatever entity in a
state that would be most advantageous, the cost to start a
Corporation, etc., etc.... This was, as I remember, a conversation
that lasted at least over 30-40 minutes with a lot of details.  Bill
Donnely (?), the forensic Accountant, also had question that I didn't
jot down.  Discussing this on the list is not fair to the details of
the conversation or the amount of questions that were thrown back and
forth with Mr. "Ed's" answers and explanations.

I had only hoped to let the list know of the seriousness and
complexity of the situation, and what I understood of it... no matter
how little:-)

Thank you for your answers here, they are much appreciated.  And your
pups are DARLING!  and eye candy when I wanted a break from my
notes!!! :-)

Storm